disabling the CD/DVD writing in Vista Home Basic

Fonti

disabling the CD/DVD writing in Vista Home Basic
We have purchased a Lenovo laptop with built in OS of "Windows Vista Home
Basic". Now, we want to disable the CD/DVD burning facility.

There is no gpedit or secpol in "Windows Vista Home Basic"; therefore,
suggest me how to disable the inbuilt CD/DVD burning facility. IMAPI is no
longer working as a service also (therefore I could not disable it in
Services).

I have already uninstalled all the third party CD/DVD burning softwares.

I have tried to change registry key as suggested by andy_c@hotmail.com

I have changed the drive type value to 3 to make it appear that the drive is
a standard CD-ROM and is not writable.

Despite all this change in Registry, DVDRW is still able to Write.

Please suggest how to make it DVD RW Drive to Read only.

--
SS
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: disabling the CD/DVD writing in Vista Home Basic
Fonti

The Group Policy setting for for disabling the CD Burning features does
this:
If you enable this setting, all features in the Windows Explorer that allow
you to use your CD writer are removed.

That policy changes the following registry Key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

With the 'Explorer' key selected, right click in the right side pane and
select New / DWord(32bit) Value.

Name this value: NoCDBurning (Case sensitive).
Right click the new value and select: Modify.
In the Value Data line, type 1 (one).
Click Apply/OK.

Let me know how this works for you.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Fonti" <Fonti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have purchased a Lenovo laptop with built in OS of "Windows Vista Home
> Basic". Now, we want to disable the CD/DVD burning facility.
>
> There is no gpedit or secpol in "Windows Vista Home Basic"; therefore,
> suggest me how to disable the inbuilt CD/DVD burning facility. IMAPI is no
> longer working as a service also (therefore I could not disable it in
> Services).
>
> I have already uninstalled all the third party CD/DVD burning softwares.
>
> I have tried to change registry key as suggested by andy_c@hotmail.com

> I have changed the drive type value to 3 to make it appear that the drive
> is
> a standard CD-ROM and is not writable.
>
> Despite all this change in Registry, DVDRW is still able to Write.
>
> Please suggest how to make it DVD RW Drive to Read only.
>
> --
> SS

Fonti

Re: disabling the CD/DVD writing in Vista Home Basic
Dear Ronnie,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did as you suggested, created the new Registry keys -----, it didn't work.

Please suggest how to disable the CD/DVD burning facility in Vista Home Basic.
--
SS

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Fonti
>
> The Group Policy setting for for disabling the CD Burning features does
> this:
> If you enable this setting, all features in the Windows Explorer that allow
> you to use your CD writer are removed.
>
> That policy changes the following registry Key.
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> With the 'Explorer' key selected, right click in the right side pane and
> select New / DWord(32bit) Value.
>
> Name this value: NoCDBurning (Case sensitive).
> Right click the new value and select: Modify.
> In the Value Data line, type 1 (one).
> Click Apply/OK.
>
> Let me know how this works for you.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Fonti" <Fonti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have purchased a Lenovo laptop with built in OS of "Windows Vista Home
> > Basic". Now, we want to disable the CD/DVD burning facility.
> >
> > There is no gpedit or secpol in "Windows Vista Home Basic"; therefore,
> > suggest me how to disable the inbuilt CD/DVD burning facility. IMAPI is no
> > longer working as a service also (therefore I could not disable it in
> > Services).
> >
> > I have already uninstalled all the third party CD/DVD burning softwares.
> >
> > I have tried to change registry key as suggested by andy_c@hotmail.com
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/316529
> >
> > I have changed the drive type value to 3 to make it appear that the drive
> > is
> > a standard CD-ROM and is not writable.
> >
> > Despite all this change in Registry, DVDRW is still able to Write.
> >
> > Please suggest how to make it DVD RW Drive to Read only.
> >
> > --
> > SS

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: disabling the CD/DVD writing in Vista Home Basic
Hi Fonti

What do you mean by 'it didn't work'?

That registry key should disable all of the components in Vista that allow
you to burn a CD/DVD?

--

> Dear Ronnie,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I did as you suggested, created the new Registry keys -----, it didn't
> work.
>
> Please suggest how to disable the CD/DVD burning facility in Vista Home
> Basic.
> --
> SS
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Fonti
>>
>> The Group Policy setting for for disabling the CD Burning features does
>> this:
>> If you enable this setting, all features in the Windows Explorer that
>> allow
>> you to use your CD writer are removed.
>>
>> That policy changes the following registry Key.
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
>>
>> With the 'Explorer' key selected, right click in the right side pane and
>> select New / DWord(32bit) Value.
>>
>> Name this value: NoCDBurning (Case sensitive).
>> Right click the new value and select: Modify.
>> In the Value Data line, type 1 (one).
>> Click Apply/OK.
>>
>> Let me know how this works for you.
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Fonti" <Fonti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have purchased a Lenovo laptop with built in OS of "Windows Vista
>> > Basic". Now, we want to disable the CD/DVD burning facility.
>> >
>> > There is no gpedit or secpol in "Windows Vista Home Basic"; therefore,
>> > suggest me how to disable the inbuilt CD/DVD burning facility. IMAPI is
>> > no
>> > longer working as a service also (therefore I could not disable it in
>> > Services).
>> >
>> > I have already uninstalled all the third party CD/DVD burning
>> > softwares.
>> >
>> > I have tried to change registry key as suggested by andy_c@hotmail.com
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/316529
>> >
>> > I have changed the drive type value to 3 to make it appear that the
>> > drive
>> > is
>> > a standard CD-ROM and is not writable.
>> >
>> > Despite all this change in Registry, DVDRW is still able to Write.
>> >
>> > Please suggest how to make it DVD RW Drive to Read only.
>> >
>> > --
>> > SS

Fonti

Re: disabling the CD/DVD writing in Vista Home Basic
Dear Ronnie,

I meant despite doing all the changes in the Registry, as per your
suggestion, one is still able to write through CD/DVD burner.

Please suggest.

--
SS