Decrypting a folder after windows is formatted without unlocking

Vicky-Aryan

Decrypting a folder after windows is formatted without unlocking
hello sir,
sir i am using windows vista business in my sony vaio laptop. nd i made some
of my files encrypted during normal use with the help of fingerprint sensor
without providing the password , only swiping the finger on sensor could
unlock those files but it can not be unlocked by a password bcoz i didnt
provide it at the time of encryption. nd then recently i formatted my windows
vista without decrypting those locked files and now i have installed new copy
of windows vista on my laptop , but i m unable to unlock the encrypted files .
sir pls can you help me to know the solution for decrypting the files again.
sir pls mail me the solution.
i seriously need your help
thanks sir
brink

Re: Decrypting a folder after windows is formatted without unlocking

Vicky-Aryan;525437 Wrote:
> hello sir,
> sir i am using windows vista business in my sony vaio laptop. nd i made
> some
> of my files encrypted during normal use with the help of fingerprint
> sensor
> without providing the password , only swiping the finger on sensor
> could
> unlock those files but it can not be unlocked by a password bcoz i
> didnt
> provide it at the time of encryption. nd then recently i formatted my
> windows
> vista without decrypting those locked files and now i have installed
> new copy
> of windows vista on my laptop , but i m unable to unlock the encrypted
> files .
> sir pls can you help me to know the solution for decrypting the files
> again.
> sir pls mail me the solution.
> i seriously need your help
> thanks sir

Hi Vicky-Aryan,

Did you backup the EFS (Encrypted File System) Certificate before you
formatted the drive?

If you did, then you can restore the EFS Certificate and will be able
to decrypt your files again. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...e-restore.html

If you did not backup this, then I'm afraid you are out of luck and
have lost the ability to decrypt the files. This tutorial will show you
how to backup the EFS Certificate for next time.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/99...te-backup.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Vicky-Aryan

Re: Decrypting a folder after windows is formatted without unlock
sir , i didnt backup the EFS certificate before formatiing the disk but then
also i hope there will be some way to decrypt the locked file bcoz nothing is
immpossible. plz help me out for this problem.

Vicky-Aryan;525847 Wrote:
> sir , i didnt backup the EFS certificate before formatiing the disk but
> then
> also i hope there will be some way to decrypt the locked file bcoz
> nothing is
> immpossible. plz help me out for this problem.

Vicky-Aryan,

Here is a back door approach that may work for you. Make copies of
these files first and use them to preserve a copy of your files.
1. Create a New Folder on the desktop. (not encrypted)
2. Move all the encrypted files into the New Folder.
3. Right click on the New Folder and click "Send To" -> "Compressed
(zipped) Folder". (on desktop)
4. Right click on the New Compressed Folder and "Extract" the New
Folder.
5. Click "Yes" to the do you want to replace the old New Folder.
6. The files should not be encrypted now.

If that does not do the trick, then :
There is a program called "Advanced EFS Data Recovery" that is suppose
to be able to decrypt these EFS files. They have a free trial version
that you can download and use. I do not know if the free version will
let you decyrpt, or they will make you buy the full version ($99 Home,
$199 Business) first. It might be worth it to try and see. I would
make a copy of the EFS files and try it on them and save the originals.

'ELCOMSOFT: Advanced EFS Data Recovery'
(http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html)

Shawn