Being able to save

Joe Morgan

Being able to save
Is there any possible way to save my work? I started a program, worked for
about 2 hours, and vista won't save... most likely because, though I am the
sole owner and user of this machine, I am still not always "the
administrator". I just spent two or so hours working on something I most
likely cannot duplicate... and vista won't let me save.

Is there any possible way to override this and force vista to save this work
(even though I did not explicitly start this program as administrator)? Many
times it will ask me to allow... but it absolutely will not in this case.

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.
Jane C

Re: Being able to save
Hello Joe,

Which program are you using, and where are you trying to save the work to?
If you navigate to your User folder via the 'save' dialogue box, can you
save in your Documents folder?

It may well be that the program is attempting to save your work/file into
its Program Files folder. This is a protected area. Programs should save
files created in them into your User heirarchy folders, eg
C:\Users\Yourname\Documents

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Joe Morgan" <JoeMorgan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any possible way to save my work? I started a program, worked
> for
> about 2 hours, and vista won't save... most likely because, though I am
> the
> sole owner and user of this machine, I am still not always "the
> administrator". I just spent two or so hours working on something I most
> likely cannot duplicate... and vista won't let me save.
>
> Is there any possible way to override this and force vista to save this
> work
> (even though I did not explicitly start this program as administrator)?
> Many
> times it will ask me to allow... but it absolutely will not in this case.
>
> I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.

Joe Morgan

Re: Being able to save
Not so plain Jane! Hey... I've already used quite a bit of your help through
your posts to others.

I'm using a 3rd Party program called Scenalyzer Live... it is made for quick
editing of video clips. As it reads clips from the camera, it separates them
automatically by time code so when I start then stop my recording, it gets
saved as a clip file (avi).

As I work with the clips within the program, I can easily delete them,
rename them, trim, split, and generally edit them.

I didn't start this program as administrator... and it won't delete or
rename any files. However, if I trim, split, or otherwise edit them, the
program can write the new file, then tries to delete the old one, which, of
course, it can't do. I was hoping for a (CTRL-Click), or generally hold the
tongue the right way method of solving it quickly.

Alas, nothing worked, but I "hacked" my way through it manually. At the end
of the day, all of the so-called "security" or "protection" or whatever
excuse for very poor useability it is called, I was able to manually work
through it. That is, the "user-friendliness" of vista simply took what
should have been an automatic 5 minute operation and turn it into another
hour of work.

Thanks for your posts, though.. and keep them up. Like I say, I've already
used several of your other posts in here... and glad you're patient enough to
figure this stuff out.

Thanks again,
Joe