Home Computer

Tiziana

Home Computer
Hi All

Please help me. Ive got a home computer with Windows 2000 Professional.
Previously I used to just switch on the pc and start doing my think. Now all
of a sudden when i switched on the computer today it is asking me for user id
and password which obviously i do not have and cannot login in

Is there someone out there that can help me to solve this

Tiziana

jimmuh

RE: Home Computer
It sounds as thoug you had a user account with a password on it, but the
machine was logging on automatically -- perhaps because this was the only
user account on the system OR because someone had used a utility like TweakUI
to cause the logon to be automatic. And now either another user account has
been added, or someone turned off the TweakUI feature that causes automatic
logon. Is one or the other of those two scenarios possible?

If you have a primary Administrator account on the system, is it still
there? If so what happens if you try to log on with that account? What
happens if you try just leaving the password blank when you try to log on?

Is it asking for BOTH the user name and password, or is the user name
already filled in and the password field is just blank?

"Tiziana" wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Please help me. Ive got a home computer with Windows 2000 Professional.
> Previously I used to just switch on the pc and start doing my think. Now all
> of a sudden when i switched on the computer today it is asking me for user id
> and password which obviously i do not have and cannot login in
>
> Is there someone out there that can help me to solve this
>
> Tiziana

Tiziana

RE: Home Computer
hi

when i bought the computer everything was set up already therefore i havent
got the username and password

I have tried going in the blanks and with putting administrator as the
userid and a blank as the password and nothing works

"jimmuh" wrote:

> It sounds as thoug you had a user account with a password on it, but the
> machine was logging on automatically -- perhaps because this was the only
> user account on the system OR because someone had used a utility like TweakUI
> to cause the logon to be automatic. And now either another user account has
> been added, or someone turned off the TweakUI feature that causes automatic
> logon. Is one or the other of those two scenarios possible?
>
> If you have a primary Administrator account on the system, is it still
> there? If so what happens if you try to log on with that account? What
> happens if you try just leaving the password blank when you try to log on?
>
> Is it asking for BOTH the user name and password, or is the user name
> already filled in and the password field is just blank?
>
> "Tiziana" wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > Please help me. Ive got a home computer with Windows 2000 Professional.
> > Previously I used to just switch on the pc and start doing my think. Now all
> > of a sudden when i switched on the computer today it is asking me for user id
> > and password which obviously i do not have and cannot login in
> >
> > Is there someone out there that can help me to solve this
> >
> > Tiziana

jimmuh

RE: Home Computer
I'm sorry. This isn't good. The possible causes of this change in behavior
range from mundane and innocent to the extreme and nasty -- like malware
having taken over the system so that it's now controlled by someone else. Is
this connected to the Internet through a broadband connection? If so, is
there a router between the computer and the Internet?

If you have important data on the system you might try doing either a repair
installation or a parallel installation of the operating system so that you
can get the data saved off of the hard drive. At that point, it might be best
to wipe the drive and start over with a new installation, using the OS
installation that came with the system. (I'm making some assumptions here.)
You can also get data off the drive by "slaving" it to another system, but
you have to know a little something about hardware to do that.

The possibilities are just too numerous, unless you can provide information
that really narrows it down, for us to have a reasonable expectation of
troubleshooting the issue this way. You need someone close by to help you, or
you need to dig in and learn about installing the OS for yourself.

For certain, next time you want to set up a user name and password for
yourself and learn a little about admin and regular accounts so that this
can't happen to you again.

Are you sure you didn't add any accounts or make any settings changes before
this started? Did anyone else use the system?