Getting Task Manager Access Back

Doug

Getting Task Manager Access Back
Task Manager changed and I no longer have access. followed Windows help:

Click to open Registry Editor.* If you are prompted for an administrator
password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Navigate to the following location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies

Double-click System, double-click DisableTaskMgr, change Value data to 0,
and then click OK.

But "Disable TaskMgr" doesn't appear after double clicking "System". At a
loss.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Getting Task Manager Access Back
Doug

Try creating that registry value.

After you open the 'System' key, right click in the right side pane and
select
New/DWord(32-bit)Value. Rename the value to DisableTaskMgr
(This name is case sensitive with no spaces).

The default value will be 0 (zero).

Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Task Manager changed and I no longer have access. followed Windows help:
>
> Click to open Registry Editor.* If you are prompted for an administrator
> password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
>
> Navigate to the following location:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies
>
> Double-click System, double-click DisableTaskMgr, change Value data to 0,
> and then click OK.
>
> But "Disable TaskMgr" doesn't appear after double clicking "System". At a
> loss.

brink

Doug;521415 Wrote:
> Task Manager changed and I no longer have access. followed Windows help:
>
> Click to open Registry Editor.* If you are prompted for an
> administrator
> password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
>
> Navigate to the following location:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies
>
> Double-click System, double-click DisableTaskMgr, change Value data to
> 0,
> and then click OK.
>
> But "Disable TaskMgr" doesn't appear after double clicking "System". At
> loss.

Hi Doug,

In addition to Ronnie's solution, this tutorial will show you how to
fix the problem. It includes a download and manuall option for doing
this.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...e-disable.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Doug

Re: Getting Task Manager Access Back
Thanks Ronnie,
I appear to now have task manager but I'm getting the following when trying
to open it: "C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe Windows cannot access the
specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions
to access the item." The task manager properties were changed and I still
can't access it via ctrl alt delete. any further advise short of restoring
system back to factory defaults?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Doug
>
> Try creating that registry value.
>
> After you open the 'System' key, right click in the right side pane and
> select
> New/DWord(32-bit)Value. Rename the value to DisableTaskMgr
> (This name is case sensitive with no spaces).
>
> The default value will be 0 (zero).
>
> Exit the registry editor and reboot the computer.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Task Manager changed and I no longer have access. followed Windows help:
> >
> > Click to open Registry Editor.* If you are prompted for an administrator
> > password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
> >
> > Navigate to the following location:
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies
> >
> > Double-click System, double-click DisableTaskMgr, change Value data to 0,
> > and then click OK.
> >
> > But "Disable TaskMgr" doesn't appear after double clicking "System". At a
> > loss.

Doug

Re: Getting Task Manager Access Back
Thanks brink,

"brink" wrote:

> Doug;521415 Wrote:
> > Task Manager changed and I no longer have access. followed Windows help:
> >
> > Click to open Registry Editor.* If you are prompted for an
> > administrator
> > password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
> >
> > Navigate to the following location:
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies
> >
> > Double-click System, double-click DisableTaskMgr, change Value data to
> > 0,
> > and then click OK.
> >
> > But "Disable TaskMgr" doesn't appear after double clicking "System". At
> > loss.

> Hi Doug,
>
> In addition to Ronnie's solution, this tutorial will show you how to
> fix the problem. It includes a download and manuall option for doing
> this.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...e-disable.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

brink

Doug;527460 Wrote:
> Thanks brink,
> I appear to now have task manager but I'm getting the following when
> trying
> to open it: "C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe Windows cannot access the
> specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate
> permissions
> to access the item." The task manager properties were changed and I
> still
> can't access it via ctrl alt delete. any further advise short of
> restoring
> system back to factory defaults?
> ----------------------------------
> "brink" wrote:
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > In addition to Ronnie's solution, this tutorial will show you how to
> > fix the problem. It includes a download and manuall option for doing
> > this.
> >
> > 'Task Manager - Enable or Disable'

> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...e-disable.html)
> >
> > Shawn

Doug,

Try running a "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) command to see if that will
fix the system file. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...tem-files.html

If that doesn't fix it, then take ownership of the
C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe file, then make sure that "Trusted
Installer" and your (username) account has "Full Control". This will
give you the permission you need to access the file. This tutorial will
show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn