Group policy screen saver does not execute on new Vista machines

jdr

Group policy screen saver does not execute on new Vista machines
We use group policies to enable activation of screen saver with password
protection on our desktops and laptops. This policy works well on existing
XP machines and on XP machines upgraded to Vista Business. We recently
acquired a new PC with Vista Business and found it will not launch the screen
saver when time has expired. Path for screen saver is
%systemroot%\system32\logon.scr. Path is correct on XP and new Vista
machine. Would appreciate any suggestions to resolve this issue. Thank you.
--
jdr
adam.egan@gmail.com

Re: Group policy screen saver does not execute on new Vista machines
i'm havin a similar problem with my group policy settings. When a
computer is left at the ctrl alt delete logon screen, the screen saver
activates fine, however when a user is logged on, the screensaver
fails to activate and after the screensaver timeout, the screen simply
comes up with 'this computer is in use and has been locked' etc...

I've set the user configuration to enable the screensaver after 20
minutes and set the path to the screensaver to %windir%
\system32\logon.scr which is correct to my knowledge. Does anybody
have any ideas?

Adam

jdr wrote:
> We use group policies to enable activation of screen saver with password
> protection on our desktops and laptops. This policy works well on existing
> XP machines and on XP machines upgraded to Vista Business. We recently
> acquired a new PC with Vista Business and found it will not launch the screen
> saver when time has expired. Path for screen saver is
> %systemroot%\system32\logon.scr. Path is correct on XP and new Vista
> machine. Would appreciate any suggestions to resolve this issue. Thank you.
> --
> jdr

jdr

Re: Group policy screen saver does not execute on new Vista machin
I found solution to our problem at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895
Replaced wireless mice with Logitech units and GPO Screen Saver now works
fine.
Hope this works for you.
jdr

"adam.egan@gmail.com" wrote:

> i'm havin a similar problem with my group policy settings. When a
> computer is left at the ctrl alt delete logon screen, the screen saver
> activates fine, however when a user is logged on, the screensaver
> fails to activate and after the screensaver timeout, the screen simply
> comes up with 'this computer is in use and has been locked' etc...
>
> I've set the user configuration to enable the screensaver after 20
> minutes and set the path to the screensaver to %windir%
> \system32\logon.scr which is correct to my knowledge. Does anybody
> have any ideas?
>
> Adam
>
> jdr wrote:
> > We use group policies to enable activation of screen saver with password
> > protection on our desktops and laptops. This policy works well on existing
> > XP machines and on XP machines upgraded to Vista Business. We recently
> > acquired a new PC with Vista Business and found it will not launch the screen
> > saver when time has expired. Path for screen saver is
> > %systemroot%\system32\logon.scr. Path is correct on XP and new Vista
> > machine. Would appreciate any suggestions to resolve this issue. Thank you.
> > --
> > jdr

adam.egan@gmail.com

Re: Group policy screen saver does not execute on new Vista machin
nah, I don't have any wireless or optical input devices etc. And the
timeout does appear to be working as the system locks after 20 minutes
(I'm assuming as a result of enabling the password protect screensaver
option). The actual screensaver itself just doesn't activate for some
strange reason, as if it can't be found or something, but it clearly
can because I have definitely specified the correct path! It's so
annoying now..

Adam