administration problem

jpaquette

administration problem
I recently bought a computer with windows vista home premium. I am the only
administrator on the computer and the guest account is on. I have a problem
because i can't access the control panel, the problem and solutions page and
other folders that only the administrator can access. Can someone help me?
letgohey

RE: administration problem

"jpaquette" wrote:

> I recently bought a computer with windows vista home premium. I am the only
> administrator on the computer and the guest account is on. I have a problem
> because i can't access the control panel, the problem and solutions page and
> other folders that only the administrator can access. Can someone help me?

I have the same problem. I just bought a computer with Vista installed. I am
the only user and I am said to be administrator on my computer, but i can't
open folders such "my documents" or "my pictures" or "cookies" or I can't
open folders for "all users" and "dafult user", or "documents and settings"
and I'm not even being asked about administrator's password. Just no. What
is it and how I can change that?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: administration problem
"letgohey" <letgohey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have the same problem. I just bought a computer with Vista installed. I
> am
> the only user and I am said to be administrator on my computer, but i
> can't
> open folders such "my documents" or "my pictures" or "cookies" or I can't
> open folders for "all users" and "dafult user", or "documents and
> settings"
> and I'm not even being asked about administrator's password. Just no.
> What
> is it and how I can change that?

Those are not 'real' folders, they are called 'Junctions' and are only there
for backward compatibility with programs that are not aware of the changes
in Vista. You cannot make changes to these folders.

See the following websites for a description of these junctions and why they
are there.

Why do I get an Access Denied error when trying to open a folder?:
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

letgohey

Re: administration problem
Ok, now I see... thank you.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> "letgohey" <letgohey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have the same problem. I just bought a computer with Vista installed. I
> > am
> > the only user and I am said to be administrator on my computer, but i
> > can't
> > open folders such "my documents" or "my pictures" or "cookies" or I can't
> > open folders for "all users" and "dafult user", or "documents and
> > settings"
> > and I'm not even being asked about administrator's password. Just no.
> > What
> > is it and how I can change that?

> Those are not 'real' folders, they are called 'Junctions' and are only there
> for backward compatibility with programs that are not aware of the changes
> in Vista. You cannot make changes to these folders.
>
> See the following websites for a description of these junctions and why they
> are there.
>
> Why do I get an Access Denied error when trying to open a folder?:
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx
>
> Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: administration problem
Letgohey

Your welcome, glad this helped.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> Ok, now I see... thank you.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> "letgohey" <letgohey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I have the same problem. I just bought a computer with Vista installed.
>> > am
>> > the only user and I am said to be administrator on my computer, but i
>> > can't
>> > open folders such "my documents" or "my pictures" or "cookies" or I
>> > can't
>> > open folders for "all users" and "dafult user", or "documents and
>> > settings"
>> > and I'm not even being asked about administrator's password. Just no.
>> > What
>> > is it and how I can change that?

>> Those are not 'real' folders, they are called 'Junctions' and are only
>> there
>> for backward compatibility with programs that are not aware of the
>> changes
>> in Vista. You cannot make changes to these folders.
>>
>> See the following websites for a description of these junctions and why
>> they
>> are there.
>>
>> Why do I get an Access Denied error when trying to open a folder?:
>> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx
>>
>> Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
>> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

Irina

Re: administration problem

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Letgohey
>
> Your welcome, glad this helped.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "letgohey" <letgohey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, now I see... thank you.
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> "letgohey" <letgohey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Those are not 'real' folders, they are called 'Junctions' and are only
> >> there
> >> for backward compatibility with programs that are not aware of the
> >> changes
> >> in Vista. You cannot make changes to these folders.
> >>
> >> See the following websites for a description of these junctions and why
> >> they
> >> are there.
> >>
> >> Why do I get an Access Denied error when trying to open a folder?:
> >> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/junctions.aspx
> >>
> >> Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
> >> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

I have a problem with it though, but I'm not attempting to open the folders.
I am the only administrator with no additional accounts. But each time I try
installing an add-on in fire fox or try to install another installation. A
message comes up and tells me "installation failed because I am not an
administrator" which I am, in fact the only one. Why? Help