Locked out of most Windows Programs

DumbFounded

Locked out of most Windows Programs
I'm running Vista Business 32 bit.

I used to run the "Windows Update" program myself, to see what its going to
install. I tried to run it last night but it refuses to start with either
method:

1. Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update
2. In the tray right click on the icon, then nothing hapens.

I thought I should get a new version of Windows Update, which is not easy,
since a search for Windows Update does not lead you to the program itself.
The website correctly identifies that "Windows Update" is installed and
blocks any of my options to do upgrades in any other manner.

So I tried to go to "Add/Remove" Programs, but I can not get there. I click
on "My Computer", then right click for properties. When I click on
Properties nothing happens.

I try to click on Windows Defender, nothing happens.

When available I tried to start these programs with "Run as Administrator",
nothing happens.

When I say nothing happens I get the spinning circle for 1-2 seconds, then
it stops.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
DumbFounded
brink

Re: Locked out of most Windows Programs

DumbFounded;518729 Wrote:
> I'm running Vista Business 32 bit.
>
> I used to run the "Windows Update" program myself, to see what its
> going to
> install. I tried to run it last night but it refuses to start with
> either
> method:
>
> 1. Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update
> 2. In the tray right click on the icon, then nothing hapens.
>
> I thought I should get a new version of Windows Update, which is not
> easy,
> since a search for Windows Update does not lead you to the program
> itself.
> The website correctly identifies that "Windows Update" is installed and
> blocks any of my options to do upgrades in any other manner.
>
> So I tried to go to "Add/Remove" Programs, but I can not get there. I
> click
> on "My Computer", then right click for properties. When I click on
> Properties nothing happens.
>
> I try to click on Windows Defender, nothing happens.
>
> When available I tried to start these programs with "Run as
> Administrator",
> nothing happens.
>
> When I say nothing happens I get the spinning circle for 1-2 seconds,
> then
> it stops.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> DumbFounded

Hi,

You might try doing a Repair Install to see if it will fix the problem
for you. This will allow you to repair your Vista installation without
loosing your files, settings, and programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Donald L McDaniel

Re: Locked out of most Windows Programs
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:26:02 -0800, DumbFounded
<DumbFounded@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm running Vista Business 32 bit.
>
>I used to run the "Windows Update" program myself, to see what its going to
>install. I tried to run it last night but it refuses to start with either
>method:
>
>1. Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update
>2. In the tray right click on the icon, then nothing hapens.
>
>I thought I should get a new version of Windows Update, which is not easy,
>since a search for Windows Update does not lead you to the program itself.
>The website correctly identifies that "Windows Update" is installed and
>blocks any of my options to do upgrades in any other manner.

Of course, you could download the stand-alone updates piecemeal from
Microsoft Download. That may take a few days, and one always seems to
miss one or more.

There is no standalone version of Windows Update, AFIK. It is
installed with Vista, and updated only through itself.

>So I tried to go to "Add/Remove" Programs, but I can not get there. I click
>on "My Computer", then right click for properties. When I click on
>Properties nothing happens.
>
>I try to click on Windows Defender, nothing happens.
>
>When available I tried to start these programs with "Run as Administrator",
>nothing happens.
>
>When I say nothing happens I get the spinning circle for 1-2 seconds, then
>it stops.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>DumbFounded

Stop being "found dumb".
Your answer lies here:
1) Either you have a pirated install image of Vista (or you have not
yet activated your OS),
or
2) You need to do a System Restore, run "sfc /SCANNOW" from the
commandline (making sure your Vista Install disk is in the drive), or
both, or simply reinstall "clean", making sure you have a NON-FREE,
GOOD-QUALITY AV package installed, running, and updated this time.

Also, STOP fiddling with your OS!!! Obviously, you don't know how to
do it safely. Just set Automatic Updates on Option 2 (Download updates
but don't install them, and notify you that there are updates
downloaded and available.) That way, you will be able to choose the
updates you want installed, and the ones you don't, from a list at
your convenience.

Personally, I would also disable Windows Defender, and use third-party
tools instead. It's probably part of your problem, anyway. Disabling
it might get you going again without doing the things I suggested
above.

The Microsofties probably will poo-poo this advicek and try to
convince you how evil it is. But it certainly works for me. I've
been compromised a SINGLE time in all my experience (since the '80s)
using a Microsoft OS, and THEN I knew it was going to happen when I
opened a questionable email. I did it anyway, to find out what would
happen. What I suspected would happen did, of course.

From that moment on, I've NEVER opened a questionable email again, and
I ALWAYS install a good-quality commercial AV package immediately
after updating Windows after a fresh install. And I STAY AWAY from
ANY security product made by Microsoft EXCEPT the Vista Firewall. And
I stay away from ALL former-Iron Curtain country's Websites, ALL ****
sites, even soft-****.

Additionally, I am isolated from the Net behind a hardware router and
use a LOCAL IP only. And to top it off, I NEVER use a P2P program
such as Bittorrent, etc. I purchase ALL downloaded music from a
reputable site, such as the iTunes Store. Otherwise, I get my music
the old-fashioned way: I purchase CDs or DVDs, and NEVER "trade"
music of any kind. If it's "free", I don't want it. PERIOD. Too many
problems associated with such stolen files. Additionally, it offends
my conscience to steal, so I do not..

Donald McDaniel.
Floyd

RE: Locked out of most Windows Programs
I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 and have the same problem of Vista programs on
the Start Menu not starting. The problem appears to come and go. Some
programs on the start menu will either briefly (milliseconds) show a screen,
or I will see the spinning circle for a second or two.

Progams that will not work include, Control Panel, Windows Welcome, etc.

I tried to include "Printers" on the Start Menu by clicking Properties and
checking the box beside printers. Nothing happens. The box remains checked
but the Printer option never appears. I've rebooted, turned the machine
off/on, etc.

Thanks for any insight.

"DumbFounded" wrote:

> I'm running Vista Business 32 bit.
>
> I used to run the "Windows Update" program myself, to see what its going to
> install. I tried to run it last night but it refuses to start with either
> method:
>
> 1. Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update
> 2. In the tray right click on the icon, then nothing hapens.
>
> I thought I should get a new version of Windows Update, which is not easy,
> since a search for Windows Update does not lead you to the program itself.
> The website correctly identifies that "Windows Update" is installed and
> blocks any of my options to do upgrades in any other manner.
>
> So I tried to go to "Add/Remove" Programs, but I can not get there. I click
> on "My Computer", then right click for properties. When I click on
> Properties nothing happens.
>
> I try to click on Windows Defender, nothing happens.
>
> When available I tried to start these programs with "Run as Administrator",
> nothing happens.
>
> When I say nothing happens I get the spinning circle for 1-2 seconds, then
> it stops.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> DumbFounded

Jane C

Re: Locked out of most Windows Programs
Hello Floyd,

Does this seem to be what you are seeing?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686/en-us

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

Jane C;521167 Wrote:
> Hello Floyd,
>
> Does this seem to be what you are seeing?
> 'Icons are missing from Control Panel, or you cannot start Control
> Panel, the Welcome Center, or games in Windows Vista'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936686/en-us)
>

> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP Windows Shell/User

Hi Floyd,

If Jane's link is what you are seeing, then also make sure that the
"Software Licensing" service is set to "Started" and "Automatic".

Shawn