Copying to System32

Joe_Buddha

Copying to System32
I have a corrupt wship6.dll file. Rather than go through the hassle of
repairing my system, I thought I'd just copy the file from another identical
system. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to copy it to the
system32 file. Can you help me? Or, is there a better way to fix this?
Jimmy Brush

Re: Copying to System32
Hello,

The easiest way would be to use the system file checker utility.

- Click start
- Find command prompt
- Right-click command prompt, click run as administrator
- Type the following command and press enter to repair only that file:

sfc /scanfile=%windir%\system32\wship6.dll

- To scan all system files and repair them as needed:

sfc /scannow

Alternatively, you would have to change security settings on the file to
update it. Specifically, you would need to take ownership of the file, then
give yourself or the administrators group modify permissions to the file.
Then you could replace the file, assuming it was not in use by any programs.
Once it is replaced, you should then change the permissions on the replaced
file to what they were on the original file and then change the owner back
to "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" so that the security of the file is back to
the default, optimal settings.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Joe_Buddha" <JoeBuddha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a corrupt wship6.dll file. Rather than go through the hassle of
> repairing my system, I thought I'd just copy the file from another
> identical
> system. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to copy it to the
> system32 file. Can you help me? Or, is there a better way to fix this?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Copying to System32
Joe

Run the System File Checker utility. This will replace any corrupted system
files with tha last backed up version of the file.

Go to Start and type: cmd.exe In the results, right click the cmd.exe
item and select the Run As Administrator option.

In the command window, type: sfc /scannow and press Enter.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Joe_Buddha" <JoeBuddha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a corrupt wship6.dll file. Rather than go through the hassle of
> repairing my system, I thought I'd just copy the file from another
> identical
> system. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to copy it to the
> system32 file. Can you help me? Or, is there a better way to fix this?

Joe_Buddha

Re: Copying to System32
That worked. Thanks!
(Although, why it should be THAT hard to find makes no sense...)

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Joe
>
> Run the System File Checker utility. This will replace any corrupted system
> files with tha last backed up version of the file.
>
> Go to Start and type: cmd.exe In the results, right click the cmd.exe
> item and select the Run As Administrator option.
>
> In the command window, type: sfc /scannow and press Enter.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Joe_Buddha" <JoeBuddha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a corrupt wship6.dll file. Rather than go through the hassle of
> > repairing my system, I thought I'd just copy the file from another
> > identical
> > system. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to copy it to the
> > system32 file. Can you help me? Or, is there a better way to fix this?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Copying to System32
Joe

Your welcome.