Set user-environmentvars as restricted User

Th0u

Set user-environmentvars as restricted User
Hello,
on XP i could setup user-specific environment-variables while being logged
on as a restricted user via Shortcut WIN+Pause and then go to environment.
The applet shows in the upper part of the gui the environment for the current
user and in the lower part the system-environment. As restricted user i can
edit the user-env, but not the system-env which is as expected.

On Vista, i did not find a way to the same dialog as a restricted user. If i
press Win+Pause and select "Advanced systemproperties" (dunno if this is the
correct name in Vista-EN) i am prompted for admin-credentials. If i enter
them the gui for setting up environmentvars is opened, but it show in the
upper pane the environment for the admin and in the lower pane the system-env.

So atm i can only edit the user-env via registry.

Jimmy Brush

Re: Set user-environmentvars as restricted User
Hello,

This is a defect in Windows Vista.

As a workaround, you can use the setx command line tool, which you can run
from a non-elevated command prompt to set the user enviornment variables.

setx var value

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Th0u" <th0u@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> on XP i could setup user-specific environment-variables while being logged
> on as a restricted user via Shortcut WIN+Pause and then go to environment.
> The applet shows in the upper part of the gui the environment for the
> current
> user and in the lower part the system-environment. As restricted user i
> can
> edit the user-env, but not the system-env which is as expected.
>
> On Vista, i did not find a way to the same dialog as a restricted user. If
> press Win+Pause and select "Advanced systemproperties" (dunno if this is
> the
> correct name in Vista-EN) i am prompted for admin-credentials. If i enter
> them the gui for setting up environmentvars is opened, but it show in the
> upper pane the environment for the admin and in the lower pane the
> system-env.
>
> So atm i can only edit the user-env via registry.

Th0u

Re: Set user-environmentvars as restricted User

> This is a defect in Windows Vista.
>
> As a workaround, you can use the setx command line tool, which you can run
> from a non-elevated command prompt to set the user enviornment variables.
>
> setx var value

Hello Jimmy,

thanx for your information.
Setx is a good hint. :-)