move all contents from guest account to a real account

john

move all contents from guest account to a real account
i have been using a guest account on vista for months now, mostly due to the
fact that my dad made an account with a password, forcing me to use a guest
and laziness on my part. so now that i have TONS of stuff on my guest
account, and an actual user account (because i finally have my dads
password), i would like to move all the contents into a real user account so
i can download, burn dvds, etc. i just cannot figure out how to do it.........

help please!
P. Di Stolfo

Re: move all contents from guest account to a real account
Hello,

open C:\Users .
You'll find there folders named after your user name. You can now copy the
contents of the Guest folder into your own folder.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have been using a guest account on vista for months now, mostly due to
> the
> fact that my dad made an account with a password, forcing me to use a
> guest
> and laziness on my part. so now that i have TONS of stuff on my guest
> account, and an actual user account (because i finally have my dads
> password), i would like to move all the contents into a real user account
> so
> i can download, burn dvds, etc. i just cannot figure out how to do
> it.........
>
> help please!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: move all contents from guest account to a real account
"john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have been using a guest account on vista for months now, mostly due to
>the
> fact that my dad made an account with a password, forcing me to use a
> guest
> and laziness on my part. so now that i have TONS of stuff on my guest
> account, and an actual user account (because i finally have my dads
> password), i would like to move all the contents into a real user account
> so
> i can download, burn dvds, etc. i just cannot figure out how to do
> it.........
>
> help please!

John

Here are the steps for creating a new user profile and copying the files and
settings from an existing user profile to the new account.

First create a new user account.

Click Start / user picture to open User Accounts.

Click Manage another account. If you are prompted for an administrator
password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click Create a new account.

Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and
then click Create Account.
Note: Do not use a name for one of the existing user accounts.

You must reboot and log onto this account at least one time so that the
folders for this new account will be created.

To copy files to the new user profile
After you create the profile, you can copy the files from the existing
profile. You must have at least three user accounts on the computer to
complete these steps, including the new account you just created.

Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that
you want to copy files from.

Click to open Documents.

Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

If you don't see the Tools menu, press ALT.

Click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, clear the Hide
protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.

Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows
is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy
files from.

Select all of the files and folders in this folder, 'except' the following
files:

Ntuser.dat

Ntuser.dat.log

Ntuser.ini

Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.

If you don't see the Edit menu, press ALT.

Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive where Windows
is installed, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you
created.

Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste.

If you don't see the Edit menu, press ALT.

Log off, and then log back on as the new user.

If you have e-mail messages in an e-mail program, such as Windows Mail, you
must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user profile
before you delete the old profile. Wait for a couple of days and if
everything is working properly, you can delete the old profile.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP