Parental Controls not Opening

CoFaulty

Parental Controls not Opening
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit on a laptop with 2.4Ghz dual core
Intel CPU, and 4GB of ram. There is currently only one account on the laptop,
set at administrator level.

I am attempting to set up an user-level account with restricted access to
programs. I created an account just fine, but when I click on "Set Up
Parental Controls for Any User" from the main control panel window, nothing
happens. It makes the "click" sound that occurs whenever browsing between
pages, but it stays on the current page.

I have tried rebooting my computer, and browsing there manually ("Control
Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\Parental Controls") but to no avail.
The laptop otherwise functions as normal. Any suggestions?
putakez5150

Re: Parental Controls not Opening

I am having the exact same problem & I am running a desktop with dual
core 3.4, 2gb ram & vista ultimate 64. Is it possible that there are
some security authorization issues that need to be removed???? I have
also come across other "admin" issues with trying to modify a .dll file
to change the vista welcome tone......kept saying I don't have a right
to save changes. They may be totally seperate but???? Others in
forums said they got the change to work (the .dll issue that is). I
have changed all priveledges to favor myself supposedly having complete
control over vista.....if that really exists. I have noticed that you
have placed this issue @ a number of forums, if you get a response would
it be posible for u 2 post it here????

--
putakez5150
CLB

Re: Parental Controls not Opening

Same problem here with a 4GB Q6400 machine running Ultimate x64.

Has anyone solved this yet?

--
CLB
DizConnected

Re: Parental Controls not Opening

Add me to the list of Parental Controls not working on either of my
Vista 64 Home Premium and Vista 64 Ultimate. Funny thing is it used to
work on my sons computer before but I decided to stop using it because
it was restricting him to much. All I want to do is set it up so he can
only use the computer until 10:30pm on school nights, no other
restrictions. But now ever time I click on the link to set up Parental
Controls nothing opens.
I just did a fresh install of Vista 64 Premium on my computer so I
could try out the SP1 and its doing the same thing when I click on
Parental Controls. I'm thinking about doing another reinstall and see
if this problem is being caused by CCleaner deleting something from the
registry.

--
DizConnected
resistanceMP3@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Parental Controls not Opening
I am having the same problems, so would be interested to see how this
thread works out.

I seem to remember there being a Microsoft problems Forum, doesn't
anybody else?
putakez5150

Re: Parental Controls not Opening

Yea Brink it is set to manual in services good idea tho. it tok a while
to find that but it is set.
Resistance: I haven't seen anything on a microsoft forum. If you could
direct me to that 1 that may prove useful.
Diz: I also have CC & unless you performed a registry clean & deleated
something......but mine wasn't working b4 CC so I don't think that's the
prob. I have also installed multiple times with no success.
CLB: Mine does the same "explore" geek out?????????
It has been brought to my attention that upon installing Vista my DVD
writer may be 2 fast & might b glossing over certain parts of the
OS....What does any1 think bout that?????? I would try but have
installed enough times that I am taking the lazy approach and don't
really want to unless I get some second opinions.
Thanks for the responses I hope we can figure this one out. I have
some buddies that also have vista but not 64 ultimate and they have no
probs with anything.......I think we have all run into a vista 64 issue
that may only b solved by the Vista gods........which want $60 just to
ask 'em some q's

--
putakez5150
brink

putakez5150;558710 Wrote:
> Yea Brink it is set to manual in services good idea tho. it tok a while
> to find that but it is set.
> Resistance: I haven't seen anything on a microsoft forum. If you could
> direct me to that 1 that may prove useful.
> Diz: I also have CC & unless you performed a registry clean & deleated
> something......but mine wasn't working b4 CC so I don't think that's the
> prob. I have also installed multiple times with no success.
> CLB: Mine does the same "explore" geek out?????????
> It has been brought to my attention that upon installing Vista my DVD
> writer may be 2 fast & might b glossing over certain parts of the
> OS....What does any1 think bout that?????? I would try but have
> installed enough times that I am taking the lazy approach and don't
> really want to unless I get some second opinions.
> Thanks for the responses I hope we can figure this one out. I have some
> buddies that also have vista but not 64 ultimate and they have no probs
> with anything.......I think we have all run into a vista 64 issue that
> may only b solved by the Vista gods........which want $60 just to ask
> 'em some q's

Hi Putekez,

You might try running a "sfc /scannow" (no quotes) command to see if it
can find and fix the problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...tem-files.html

If not, then you can do a Repair install. This will allow you to repair
your Vista installation without losing your files, settings, and
programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
CLB

Re: Parental Controls not Opening

OK,
It seems that CLB, putakez5150 and DizConnected have all run CCleaner.
This is probably not a coincidence. I don't know about CoFaulty but I
suspect we have messed up registry entries with CCleaner. I just
uninstalled my copy.

Brink, I don't remember the exact details but last time I tried to
initiate a repair install, the repair option was specifically
unavailable. I may try again and take notes.

--
CLB
putakez5150

Re: Parental Controls not Opening

Yea I did not find anything either when running the sfc/scannow. My
repair option is also not available @ the moment, but in the past when
it was a fix for this problem was not available.

CLB: I have not actually run the registry cleaner since I last
reformatted.......I was thinking the same thing.

--
putakez5150
brink

Re: Parental Controls not Opening

CLB,

It would be to integrated to export a file from system for the other.
About the only other option is the Repair install or a Clean install to
fix it.

I find the CCleaner does everything great except registry clean. I like
to use the free Wise Registry Cleaner instead for this. I never had a
problem with Wise, but you should always double check the results
registry cleaner programs spit out to make sure that they are invalid
though.

'*http://www.wisecleaner.com/download.html*'