applying permission to Program Files

wretched

applying permission to Program Files
I'm brand new to Vista and must say it is needlessly complicated.
All I'm trying to do right now is download MSN Messenger. I want to put it
in the "Program Files" folder, but it says "access denied...you don't have
permission...contact the administrator..." Huh? I am the administrator.
Why would I want to put a program file anywhere else? Why would I need such
a stupid feature? Why can't I have control over my own computer?
I right clicked until I got to the securities options, and all the boxes for
changing the permissions on the "Program Files" folder are greyed out.

How do I install programs where I think they would be the most convenient,
and make the most sense? How do I set this up so I always have access to do
whatever I want, and don't ever have to think about being logged in as such
and such user? How do I get the hours of my life back trying to figure out
Vista's "improvements" over XP?
Ten419

RE: applying permission to Program Files
I am having the same issue. Does anyone have an answer to solve the problem.
Any help would be much appreciated.

"wretched" wrote:

> I'm brand new to Vista and must say it is needlessly complicated.
> All I'm trying to do right now is download MSN Messenger. I want to put it
> in the "Program Files" folder, but it says "access denied...you don't have
> permission...contact the administrator..." Huh? I am the administrator.
> Why would I want to put a program file anywhere else? Why would I need such
> a stupid feature? Why can't I have control over my own computer?
> I right clicked until I got to the securities options, and all the boxes for
> changing the permissions on the "Program Files" folder are greyed out.
>
> How do I install programs where I think they would be the most convenient,
> and make the most sense? How do I set this up so I always have access to do
> whatever I want, and don't ever have to think about being logged in as such
> and such user? How do I get the hours of my life back trying to figure out
> Vista's "improvements" over XP?

Michael Palumbo

"wretched" <wretched@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm brand new to Vista and must say it is needlessly complicated.
> All I'm trying to do right now is download MSN Messenger. I want to put
> it
> in the "Program Files" folder, but it says "access denied...you don't have
> permission...contact the administrator..." Huh? I am the administrator.
> Why would I want to put a program file anywhere else? Why would I need
> such
> a stupid feature? Why can't I have control over my own computer?
> I right clicked until I got to the securities options, and all the boxes
> for
> changing the permissions on the "Program Files" folder are greyed out.
>
> How do I install programs where I think they would be the most convenient,
> and make the most sense? How do I set this up so I always have access to
> do
> whatever I want, and don't ever have to think about being logged in as
> such
> and such user? How do I get the hours of my life back trying to figure
> out
> Vista's "improvements" over XP?

Why are you trying to save a setup file to the Program Files directory?
Save it to download, or better yet, don't save it at all, choose "run"
instead. Once it's installed, you shouldn't need the setup file for it
again unless there's some problem and you need to reinstall it, and even
then, you should get the latest version at that time, not use the one that
may be months old.

When you run the setup file, it will install the files it needs in Program
Files (that's what that directory is for, the installation of the full
program, not saving setup files.).

Remember, most of the "program" files you're going to download will be
setup/install files, not the actual program that's going to run every time
you want to use said program.
There are exceptions, those are usually referred to as "stand-alone"
programs and once downloaded you can move them to the Program Files
directory (you'll get a UAC prompt but you can do it) but there's no reason
to save every setup/install program. Usually, especially software like MSN
Messenger, change constantly, and are always readily available on the web
for download (again, it's suggested to always download the latest version if
you are installing/re-installing this kind of software.)

Mic

Jimmy Brush

Re: applying permission to Program Files
Hello,

In Windows Vista, administrative actions can only occur after a security
prompt ("Windows needs your permission to continue").

This prevents administrative actions from occurring unless are the one
performing them.

Saving files/settings to Program Files is an administrative action.

Unfortunately, sometimes when you try to perform an administrative action,
you will be told "access denied" instead of being prompted. This is caused
by whatever program you are using not asking for your permission like it is
supposed to.

As a workaround in this specific case, you can save the file to your desktop
or documents folder, and then move it to the program files folder, which
will correclty ask you for your permission and allow the action to succeed.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"wretched" <wretched@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm brand new to Vista and must say it is needlessly complicated.
> All I'm trying to do right now is download MSN Messenger. I want to put
> it
> in the "Program Files" folder, but it says "access denied...you don't have
> permission...contact the administrator..." Huh? I am the administrator.
> Why would I want to put a program file anywhere else? Why would I need
> such
> a stupid feature? Why can't I have control over my own computer?
> I right clicked until I got to the securities options, and all the boxes
> for
> changing the permissions on the "Program Files" folder are greyed out.
>
> How do I install programs where I think they would be the most convenient,
> and make the most sense? How do I set this up so I always have access to
> do
> whatever I want, and don't ever have to think about being logged in as
> such
> and such user? How do I get the hours of my life back trying to figure
> out
> Vista's "improvements" over XP?

ddelrio1986

Re: applying permission to Program Files

Thanks a lot for the post. I installed Apache but was unable to change
the httpd.conf for this reason. So I saved it to the desktop then moved
it into the appropriate folder and it worked perfectly.

--
ddelrio1986