Why a password?

Rene

Why a password?
My mom just bought a new computer with vista installed. She is currently
locked out. Once we get a recovery disk and save a password to a flash drive
she will misplace it all again at some future point and we will keep having
this problem with recovery. Why does microsoft make vista password
protection mandatory? Some people do not need a password.
Richard G. Harper

Re: Why a password?
A password is not mandatory, it's optional. None of my Vista accounts have
passwords on them.

"Rene" <Rene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My mom just bought a new computer with vista installed. She is currently
> locked out. Once we get a recovery disk and save a password to a flash
> drive
> she will misplace it all again at some future point and we will keep
> having
> this problem with recovery. Why does microsoft make vista password
> protection mandatory? Some people do not need a password.

f/fgeorge

Re: Why a password?
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:53:10 -0800, Rene
<Rene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My mom just bought a new computer with vista installed. She is currently
>locked out. Once we get a recovery disk and save a password to a flash drive
>she will misplace it all again at some future point and we will keep having
>this problem with recovery. Why does microsoft make vista password
>protection mandatory? Some people do not need a password.

Type "control userpasswords2", no quotes, in a box that comes up when
you press the Windows key and R at the same time. At the top is a
check box that says users must type a password when they log on,
uncheck it and she will no longer need a password to log on everytime.
Michael Palumbo

Re: Why a password?

"Rene" <Rene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My mom just bought a new computer with vista installed. She is currently
> locked out. Once we get a recovery disk and save a password to a flash
> drive
> she will misplace it all again at some future point and we will keep
> having
> this problem with recovery. Why does microsoft make vista password
> protection mandatory? Some people do not need a password.

During first boot, when you create a user name, simply don't type a
password.

Problem solved.

Passwords are not mandatory, they are optional.

Mic