What do you have to accomplish or be to use VISTA?

Scott Hauge

What do you have to accomplish or be to use VISTA?
I'm sure this question or something similar has been posted and answered but
I, to be honest, am TIRED of having to scour the Internet looking for MORE
answers to this enigma called VISTA. I was lucky enough to get the "Home
Premium Version" or whatever it is. I AM THE ONLY PERSON USING THIS LAPTOP.
I have given myself FULL Administrator privileges. No-ONE ELSE has EVER used
this laptop. SO, WHY can't I access certain "hidden" or "locked" files, and
most recently, WHY has my 'Group Policy' changed so that I can NO LONGER
create a "restore point" in System Restore? WHAT does one have to DO to be
able to fully USE their OWN LAPTOP with this OS called VISTA? What is the
POINT of giving us this wonderful new OS and lovely interface and then tie
our hands or make it SO HARD to find out HOW to use the bloody thing? All I
want to do is have full access to my files and be able to "administrate" my
laptop (yes, I know about "Folder Views", etc.) without resorting to "tweaks"
and Google, er, I mean, LIVE searches every half-hour. ANY help is very much
appreciated. Thank you.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: What do you have to accomplish or be to use VISTA?
Hello,

* Which files are locked? Which folders?
* If you want to, try turning off User Account Control which may prevent you
from some actions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
* The issue with the restore points seems to be very weird. Maybe it will be
resolved with UAC disabled.
If it still doesn't work, try the options here:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/216/1/
With Home Premium, there may be no Group Policy, so you may have to
try the second option.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"Scott Hauge" <Scott Hauge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure this question or something similar has been posted and answered
> but
> I, to be honest, am TIRED of having to scour the Internet looking for MORE
> answers to this enigma called VISTA. I was lucky enough to get the "Home
> Premium Version" or whatever it is. I AM THE ONLY PERSON USING THIS
> LAPTOP.
> I have given myself FULL Administrator privileges. No-ONE ELSE has EVER
> used
> this laptop. SO, WHY can't I access certain "hidden" or "locked" files,
> and
> most recently, WHY has my 'Group Policy' changed so that I can NO LONGER
> create a "restore point" in System Restore? WHAT does one have to DO to
> be
> able to fully USE their OWN LAPTOP with this OS called VISTA? What is the
> POINT of giving us this wonderful new OS and lovely interface and then tie
> our hands or make it SO HARD to find out HOW to use the bloody thing? All
> want to do is have full access to my files and be able to "administrate"
> my
> laptop (yes, I know about "Folder Views", etc.) without resorting to
> "tweaks"
> and Google, er, I mean, LIVE searches every half-hour. ANY help is very
> much
> appreciated. Thank you.

Ditta

"Scott Hauge" wrote:

> I'm sure this question or something similar has been posted and answered but
> I, to be honest, am TIRED of having to scour the Internet looking for MORE
> answers to this enigma called VISTA. I was lucky enough to get the "Home
> Premium Version" or whatever it is. I AM THE ONLY PERSON USING THIS LAPTOP.
> I have given myself FULL Administrator privileges. No-ONE ELSE has EVER used
> this laptop. SO, WHY can't I access certain "hidden" or "locked" files, and
> most recently, WHY has my 'Group Policy' changed so that I can NO LONGER
> create a "restore point" in System Restore? WHAT does one have to DO to be
> able to fully USE their OWN LAPTOP with this OS called VISTA? What is the
> POINT of giving us this wonderful new OS and lovely interface and then tie
> our hands or make it SO HARD to find out HOW to use the bloody thing? All I
> want to do is have full access to my files and be able to "administrate" my
> laptop (yes, I know about "Folder Views", etc.) without resorting to "tweaks"
> and Google, er, I mean, LIVE searches every half-hour. ANY help is very much
> appreciated. Thank you.

DyeCottage is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem with my Vista laptop. I can't install or uninstall programmes as 'The System Administrator has put a block on this action' or something similar.
I phoned the computer support people & they told me to do a complete system recovery ( on a 2 day old computer?) Then they told me to disable antivirus & firewall. Nothing worked -- I still couldn't access, install or uninstall programmes & applications. I couldn't even install Windows Live Messenger or itunes.

I have now sent the laptop back & asked for a replacement, but I guess that I will have the same problem with any other Vista laptop.

I'm the only person ever to use my computer & have been reduced to tears by being told continually that the System Administrator says I do not have permission to use my laptop. I would never have bought Vista if I'd known the problems I would experience trying to use it.