KMS licensing

Steven Shue

KMS licensing
I'm almost at a point to install the KMS and build images using the Vista
Business KMS, but am having trouble understanding how I will be accounting
for my licenses.

Because 'stuff' happens with computers, they need to be reimaged. So if I
reimage a computer, did I just use 2 licenses? KMS will report both for at
least 180 days. What happens with the CMID for the old install? Do I simply
have overlapping licenses for 180 days per re-image?
In order to hit the 25 machines right off the bat, I'm looking to create a
garbage image for a couple older desktop systems. Once I have actual
activations, I'll begin to swap and deploy older equipment. Once I have 25
'real' activations, I plan on removing the image on the older machines. Did
I just eat licenses for those, even though I won't be using them again?
After they expire in 180 days, am I still liable for a license I"m not using?

P. Di Stolfo

Re: KMS licensing
Hello,

have you looked through this information already?
* http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/default.mspx
* http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb335280.aspx
*
(the guide)

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"Steven Shue" <StevenShue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm almost at a point to install the KMS and build images using the Vista
> Business KMS, but am having trouble understanding how I will be accounting
> for my licenses.
>
> Because 'stuff' happens with computers, they need to be reimaged. So if I
> reimage a computer, did I just use 2 licenses? KMS will report both for
> at
> least 180 days. What happens with the CMID for the old install? Do I
> simply
> have overlapping licenses for 180 days per re-image?
> In order to hit the 25 machines right off the bat, I'm looking to create a
> garbage image for a couple older desktop systems. Once I have actual
> activations, I'll begin to swap and deploy older equipment. Once I have
> 25
> 'real' activations, I plan on removing the image on the older machines.
> Did
> I just eat licenses for those, even though I won't be using them again?
> After they expire in 180 days, am I still liable for a license I"m not
> using?

Steven Shue

Re: KMS licensing
Yes, I have looked through those articles and did not find the answer to my
questions.