ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS

Anna

ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS
In Vindows Vista Home Premium I'm trying to install an Anti-Virus program,
but I always get the message to make sure that I've got Administrator
Permissions.I've tried installing it as an administrator, but I still can't
get passed that message. What else to do?
P. Di Stolfo

Re: ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS
Hello,

try turning off User Account Control for this task:
http://vistafaqs.com/viewfaq.aspx?faq=105
Then try again.
Normally, the program should be able to handle this permission issue with
Vista.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"Anna" <Anna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Vindows Vista Home Premium I'm trying to install an Anti-Virus program,
> but I always get the message to make sure that I've got Administrator
> Permissions.I've tried installing it as an administrator, but I still
> can't
> get passed that message. What else to do?

Anna

Re: ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS
Hi P. Di Stolfo,
I've tried your suggestion, but even with UAC turned off I couldn't install
the program.
Thanks anyway,
Anna

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> try turning off User Account Control for this task:
> http://vistafaqs.com/viewfaq.aspx?faq=105
> Then try again.
> Normally, the program should be able to handle this permission issue with
> Vista.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
> --
> ////////////////////////////
> http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language
> ///////////////////////////
>
> "Anna" <Anna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Vindows Vista Home Premium I'm trying to install an Anti-Virus program,
> > but I always get the message to make sure that I've got Administrator
> > Permissions.I've tried installing it as an administrator, but I still
> > can't
> > get passed that message. What else to do?

Richard G. Harper

Re: ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS
Try right-clicking the setup or installer program and selecting the "Run as
Administrator" option.

"Anna" <Anna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Vindows Vista Home Premium I'm trying to install an Anti-Virus program,
> but I always get the message to make sure that I've got Administrator
> Permissions.I've tried installing it as an administrator, but I still
> can't
> get passed that message. What else to do?

Kerry Brown

Re: ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS
What AV program and version? It sounds like it is not Vista compatible. Many
older AV programs are not Vista compatible. If you do get them to install
they will cause you many problems.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Anna" <Anna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Vindows Vista Home Premium I'm trying to install an Anti-Virus program,
> but I always get the message to make sure that I've got Administrator
> Permissions.I've tried installing it as an administrator, but I still
> can't
> get passed that message. What else to do?

Donald L McDaniel

Re: ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:29:37 -0500, "Richard G. Harper"
<rgharper@email.com> wrote:

>Try right-clicking the setup or installer program and selecting the "Run as
>Administrator" option.

That usually works for me. However, there are times it won't.
Personally, I prefer OS X's way of handling user privilege elevations:
simply enter your Admin password for EVERY installation.

Anyway, we are stuck with UAC, so there is no use crying over what
should be.

Donald McDaniel
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS
Hi Donald

This is actually the same way that UAC works, IF you are following the
recommended best practices and logging on with a Standard User account.
Unfortunately, most users are still making the same mistake that they did
with XP and using an administrator account for their everyday logon.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocross@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:29:37 -0500, "Richard G. Harper"
> <rgharper@email.com> wrote:
>
>>Try right-clicking the setup or installer program and selecting the "Run
>>as
>>Administrator" option.

> That usually works for me. However, there are times it won't.
> Personally, I prefer OS X's way of handling user privilege elevations:
> simply enter your Admin password for EVERY installation.
>
> Anyway, we are stuck with UAC, so there is no use crying over what
> should be.
>
> Donald McDaniel

Donald L McDaniel

Re: ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:40:51 -0800, "Ronnie Vernon MVP"
<rv@invalid.org> wrote:

>Hi Donald
>
>This is actually the same way that UAC works, IF you are following the
>recommended best practices and logging on with a Standard User account.
>Unfortunately, most users are still making the same mistake that they did
>with XP and using an administrator account for their everyday logon.

Always, Ronnie...

Anyway, if you are referring to the way one authorizes the
installation of a "kernel-level" application under OS X, I partially
agree. In either case, the OS requires the user's [manual]
intervention before it will proceed with any permission elevation.

However, under OS X, admin permissions are elevated by actually
entering your admin password using the keyboard, while the Vista
method of accomplishing the same thing is by using a click of the
mouse, rather than by the user actually entering his admin
username/password manually "in real-time".

If all the gobbledegook and double-talk is removed from the popular
description of UAC, and the straight truth is told, Vista's UAC uses a
simple "click 'o the mouse" [easily-done programmatically using a
simple Visual Basic script] to validate the user's authenticity.

How is that similar to [or the same as] requiring a real-time manual
entry of a username/pasword?

Personally, I prefer [and trust] third-party Security tools over
Microsoft's [or Apple's]s home-grown brands, although I do believe
that Apple's way is better than Microsoft's if all be told.

BTW, I remain a loyal user of Microsoft products, and own only a
hand-made Intel-based computer, using only off-the-shelf parts
purchased in their brick&mortar store after consulting with actual
human beings face-to-face, then assembled and tested in their own shop
at a local computer company [Pacific Solutions, Inc, in Portland, OR.]

Donald McDaniel