Administrator denies access to cd/dvd rom

mj

Administrator denies access to cd/dvd rom
I just loaded windows Vista Business upgrade to an Acer Power PH desktop.
After installation was complete I tried to install a second app. and received
a restriction message "admin denies access to cd/dvd rom drive".

Device manager indicates the the drive is operational

I accessed properties/securities to verify ownership; it dispalyed "you do
not have permission to view this object's security properties". Under
current owner "unable to display current owner". When I attempt to transfer
ownership to my admin account I received "unable to set new owner, access
denied". I created a second admin acount and it changed nothing.

Under grp. policy folders/ removeable storage; both cd/dvd read and write
are not configured.

Any suggestions?
--
mj
Jimmy Brush

Re: Administrator denies access to cd/dvd rom
Hello,

If you put in a different CD, can you access the CD from explorer?

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
mj

Re: Administrator denies access to cd/dvd rom
No, explorer will display there is a cd present; however it indicates there
is 0 data available.
--
mj

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If you put in a different CD, can you access the CD from explorer?
>
> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

mj

RE: Administrator denies access to cd/dvd rom
Problem resolved. The original equipment manufacturer's installed management
system was not compatible with Vista. An upgrade was required.

Thanks
--
mj

"mj" wrote:

> I just loaded windows Vista Business upgrade to an Acer Power PH desktop.
> After installation was complete I tried to install a second app. and received
> a restriction message "admin denies access to cd/dvd rom drive".
>
> Device manager indicates the the drive is operational
>
> I accessed properties/securities to verify ownership; it dispalyed "you do
> not have permission to view this object's security properties". Under
> current owner "unable to display current owner". When I attempt to transfer
> ownership to my admin account I received "unable to set new owner, access
> denied". I created a second admin acount and it changed nothing.
>
> Under grp. policy folders/ removeable storage; both cd/dvd read and write
> are not configured.
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
> mj

Jimmy Brush

Re: Administrator denies access to cd/dvd rom
Appreciate the update, glad it is resolved.

--

"mj" <marcusjames@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Problem resolved. The original equipment manufacturer's installed
> management
> system was not compatible with Vista. An upgrade was required.
>
> Thanks
> --
> mj
>

> "mj" wrote:
>
>> I just loaded windows Vista Business upgrade to an Acer Power PH desktop.
>> After installation was complete I tried to install a second app. and
>> received
>> a restriction message "admin denies access to cd/dvd rom drive".
>>
>> Device manager indicates the the drive is operational
>>
>> I accessed properties/securities to verify ownership; it dispalyed "you
>> do
>> not have permission to view this object's security properties". Under
>> current owner "unable to display current owner". When I attempt to
>> transfer
>> ownership to my admin account I received "unable to set new owner, access
>> denied". I created a second admin acount and it changed nothing.
>>
>> Under grp. policy folders/ removeable storage; both cd/dvd read and write
>> are not configured.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> --
>> mj

sha06001

Re: Administrator denies access to cd/dvd rom

Hi, I've been facing the same problem and yet I haven't been able to fix
it. can you tell me how did you upgrade?

--
sha06001
gerevent

Re: Administrator denies access to cd/dvd rom

I purchased my HP with Vista home installed on it. It was an out of the
box sale and so the company that sold it to me was listed as the
administrator. Fry's that sold me the computer took off thier password
and I put on mine. However, everywhere I go I find references to Fry's
as the administrator. In fact, I don't think I am the ultimate
administrator even yet. How do I remove the name "Frysadminist" from all
the accounts they control?

I was not able to use screen print at all. According to the information
I have, I press screen print key above the backspace key on the HP
Pavilion dv 9930 us Notebook PC. Then I paste (cntl V) to either Word or
Paint or other programs. It does not work. If I try Alt screenpriint it
also fails to work.

I am beginning to think there is another malfunction caused by my not
being the administrator.

Please anyone, Help

Thank you

--