But I AM the Administrator!

Carly

But I AM the Administrator!
I was trying to create a new folder in C/Program Files and it said that I do
not have sufficent user privileges, and I should contact the administrator.
Well, I AM the administrator! I have double-checked a dozen times, there is
only one account on this computer (heck, it's only a week old!), it is my
account and it is an/the administrator account. What's going on? What do I
have to do to be able to create new folders in C/Program Files?
dzomlija

Re: But I AM the Administrator!

Carly;510249 Wrote:
> I was trying to create a new folder in C/Program Files and it said that
> I do not have sufficent user privileges, and I should contact the
> administrator. Well, I AM the administrator! I have double-checked a
> dozen times, there is only one account on this computer (heck, it's only
> a week old!), it is my account and it is an/the administrator account.
> What's going on? What do I have to do to be able to create new folders
> in C/Program Files?

"Administrator Accounts" in Vista have less privileges than they did in
XP. This is done to tighten security, and in your case, prevent people
people from making improper manual changes to the "Program Files" and
"Program Files (x86)" folders, which could lead to system malfunctions.

Before submitting this post, I done a quick test on both folders by
attempting to create a folder in each. In both cases, all that was
required that I respond to a UAC prompt to continue. This is normal
behavior for Vista.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
Michael Walraven

Re: But I AM the Administrator!
Carly,

You have to override several layers of security to write in the c:/programs
folder. That area is considered a critical system area and is protected.
Basically only the system entity 'Trusted Installer' can create and install
files in this area.

Michael

"Carly" <Carly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was trying to create a new folder in C/Program Files and it said that I
> do
> not have sufficent user privileges, and I should contact the
> administrator.
> Well, I AM the administrator! I have double-checked a dozen times, there
> is
> only one account on this computer (heck, it's only a week old!), it is my
> account and it is an/the administrator account. What's going on? What do
> have to do to be able to create new folders in C/Program Files?

Kerry Brown

Re: But I AM the Administrator!
Have you turned UAC off? This is one of the consequences of doing that. Make
sure UAC is turned on. Log on with an administrator account. Open Windows
Explorer and browse to the Program Files folder. Right click on it and pick
New - Folder. Respond to the UAC prompts. Name the folder. Respond to the
UAC prompts. You're done. There are two keys to doing this. UAC must be on.
You must use Windows Explorer or another Vista compatible program that
understands the security in Vista. System folders have different ACL's (NTFS
Access Control Lists) from previous versions of Windows.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Carly" <Carly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was trying to create a new folder in C/Program Files and it said that I
>do
> not have sufficent user privileges, and I should contact the
> administrator.
> Well, I AM the administrator! I have double-checked a dozen times, there
> is
> only one account on this computer (heck, it's only a week old!), it is my
> account and it is an/the administrator account. What's going on? What do
> have to do to be able to create new folders in C/Program Files?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: But I AM the Administrator!
Carly

In addition to the other responses, to maintain the integrity of the
security model in Vista, you may need to change the way you normally do some
things.

If you want to create new folders to store particular files, you need to
create them within your own user folders tree. These are located in
C:\Users\your name\......

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP