Deleting icons on 1 account ,delete's same icon on every account.

Sim....

Deleting icons on 1 account ,delete's same icon on every account.
Hi, people, I have Vista x64 premium installed on my machine with 2 accounts,
1 for the kids that is limited & 1 for me ,Adminstrator, When i install
something on my account , it places an icon on my desktop ,all well and good,
however if i then switch to the kids 'limited' account, the icons are on
their desktop, so i promptly delete them, which vista then asks me for the
admin password before it can perform the operation, so i type my password in,
then it delete's the icon from the kids account, however on returning to my
account ,the icons have also been deleted from my desktop. How the heck can
you stop this from happening. , other than that , i am quite happy with my
Vista......
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Deleting icons on 1 account ,delete's same icon on every account.
Hello,

can you check if the icons/shortcuts are in the folder
C:\Users\ <Your account name> \Desktop
?
Ensure that they are saved there as well before you delete them from your
kids' account.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"Sim...." <Sim....@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, people, I have Vista x64 premium installed on my machine with 2
> accounts,
> 1 for the kids that is limited & 1 for me ,Adminstrator, When i install
> something on my account , it places an icon on my desktop ,all well and
> good,
> however if i then switch to the kids 'limited' account, the icons are on
> their desktop, so i promptly delete them, which vista then asks me for the
> admin password before it can perform the operation, so i type my password
> in,
> then it delete's the icon from the kids account, however on returning to
> my
> account ,the icons have also been deleted from my desktop. How the heck
> can
> you stop this from happening. , other than that , i am quite happy with
> my
> Vista......

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Deleting icons on 1 account ,delete's same icon on every account.
Sim

To understand what is happening, you first need to understand the concept
involved here.

Many programs will ask, before they install, if you want the program to be
available to all users on the system or just the user who is installing the
program. Some programs don't ask and just install the program for all users.
When this happens you get the result that you are seeing.

There are 2 locations for the desktop in Vista.

C:\Users\Public\Desktop is the location for All Users. Any shortcut icon in
this folder will appear on every users desktop.

C:\Users\user name\Desktop is the location for each individual user. Any
shortcut icon in this folder will only appear on that invidual users
desktop.

To get the result you want, If a programs installation places an icon in the
all users desktop folder, you can simply move that icon from that folder to
your individual desktop folder.

Note: The reason you are getting the administrator prompt when you delete
the icon from the limited accounts desktop, is that this deletes the icon
from the all users desktop folder and only an administrator can perform an
action that affects all users on the system.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Sim...." <Sim....@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, people, I have Vista x64 premium installed on my machine with 2
> accounts,
> 1 for the kids that is limited & 1 for me ,Adminstrator, When i install
> something on my account , it places an icon on my desktop ,all well and
> good,
> however if i then switch to the kids 'limited' account, the icons are on
> their desktop, so i promptly delete them, which vista then asks me for the
> admin password before it can perform the operation, so i type my password
> in,
> then it delete's the icon from the kids account, however on returning to
> my
> account ,the icons have also been deleted from my desktop. How the heck
> can
> you stop this from happening. , other than that , i am quite happy with
> my
> Vista......

Sim....

Re: Deleting icons on 1 account ,delete's same icon on every accou
ok, i understand that, but when i was using winxp, this did not happen as far
as i can remember, Vista must be slightly different in this respect, that is
why i was surprised this was happening.....Thanks for the replies.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Sim
>
> To understand what is happening, you first need to understand the concept
> involved here.
>
> Many programs will ask, before they install, if you want the program to be
> available to all users on the system or just the user who is installing the
> program. Some programs don't ask and just install the program for all users.
> When this happens you get the result that you are seeing.
>
> There are 2 locations for the desktop in Vista.
>
> C:\Users\Public\Desktop is the location for All Users. Any shortcut icon in
> this folder will appear on every users desktop.
>
> C:\Users\user name\Desktop is the location for each individual user. Any
> shortcut icon in this folder will only appear on that invidual users
> desktop.
>
> To get the result you want, If a programs installation places an icon in the
> all users desktop folder, you can simply move that icon from that folder to
> your individual desktop folder.
>
> Note: The reason you are getting the administrator prompt when you delete
> the icon from the limited accounts desktop, is that this deletes the icon
> from the all users desktop folder and only an administrator can perform an
> action that affects all users on the system.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Sim...." <Sim....@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, people, I have Vista x64 premium installed on my machine with 2
> > accounts,
> > 1 for the kids that is limited & 1 for me ,Adminstrator, When i install
> > something on my account , it places an icon on my desktop ,all well and
> > good,
> > however if i then switch to the kids 'limited' account, the icons are on
> > their desktop, so i promptly delete them, which vista then asks me for the
> > admin password before it can perform the operation, so i type my password
> > in,
> > then it delete's the icon from the kids account, however on returning to
> > my
> > account ,the icons have also been deleted from my desktop. How the heck
> > can
> > you stop this from happening. , other than that , i am quite happy with
> > my
> > Vista......

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Deleting icons on 1 account ,delete's same icon on every accou
Sim

Your welcome.

--

Ronnie Vernon