Change limited user rights

Erik

Change limited user rights
My son works with a pc with a limited account, because with the parental
control I switch on the time limit so he can not use his PC at night.
But I want to allow him to install or uninstall programs which is not
allowed with a limited user account.
How can I change this?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Change limited user rights
Erik wrote:
> My son works with a pc with a limited account, because with the parental
> control I switch on the time limit so he can not use his PC at night.
> But I want to allow him to install or uninstall programs which is not
> allowed with a limited user account.
> How can I change this?

Limited Users cannot install software. Grant him administrative
privileges. Of course, that will also enable him to negate any other
restrictions you've placed on his account, but if you can trust him to
safely and wisely install and uninstall programs, that shouldn't matter.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change limited user rights
Erik

I agree with Bruce.

You only have 2 choices.

1. He must ask you if he wants any programs installed and you must install
them to his account using your administrator privileges.

2. You trust him not to make a mistake and install something that can harm
the system.

In the second case, you would need to give him your administrator password,
which would negate any settings in parental controls, since he could also
make changes to those controls.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Erik" <Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son works with a pc with a limited account, because with the parental
> control I switch on the time limit so he can not use his PC at night.
> But I want to allow him to install or uninstall programs which is not
> allowed with a limited user account.
> How can I change this?

Erik

Re: Change limited user rights
Thanks both for your answer.

Erik

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Erik
>
> I agree with Bruce.
>
> You only have 2 choices.
>
> 1. He must ask you if he wants any programs installed and you must install
> them to his account using your administrator privileges.
>
> 2. You trust him not to make a mistake and install something that can harm
> the system.
>
> In the second case, you would need to give him your administrator password,
> which would negate any settings in parental controls, since he could also
> make changes to those controls.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Erik" <Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My son works with a pc with a limited account, because with the parental
> > control I switch on the time limit so he can not use his PC at night.
> > But I want to allow him to install or uninstall programs which is not
> > allowed with a limited user account.
> > How can I change this?

Ace2o

Re: Change limited user rights

here's an advanced workaround to what you want to do..

First, create a Virtual OS (i use Virtual PC).
Then give your son privilege to use it as administrator.
Finally, limit his usage time in the Vista OS.

I don't know if you get the picture..
The Virtual pc will allow him to do whatever he wants (install,
uninstall, etc..)
But since it's just a program on top of the Vista Operating system, he
is still under
the time limit you setup.

I hope this helps.

--