What WAS my administration account is now a "guest account". Baffl

Stephen = Desperate

What WAS my administration account is now a "guest account". Baffl
I am desperate. As the title suggests, my computer, which incidently has one
User, namely me, now has NO admistrator on the system. So now whenever I
attempt to install programmes such as RealPlayer, my laptop authoritatively
tells me that I need to contact my administrator in order to receive
permission to download such software. Hang on though... I am the
administrator surely? Apparently not any longer. How has this come about?

I am not entirely sure - but it could have been when I was investigating
whether my Laptop has a fingerprint reader built in - it is possible that a
few settings were changed. But I cannot change it back. I dont even have the
rights to get into "parental control".

I CAN enter parts of control panel where i can change my account type (and
other stuff) - but when I go to change it to "administrator" (or anything
else), it looks as though it has done it, but when i return it remains
"Stephen
Guest account
Password Protected"

I'm not even a standard user! What is guest account? The ACTUAL guest
account is turned off incidentally.

I have, as the site suggests, read up to see if there are any similar
situations, and there is - however "Ronnie Vernon MVP"'s advice caused me to
nearly have a heart attack. When I went into safe mode, I created an
administrator account, with the view to then access that and change my
original account to an administrator account also. However, my old account
actually disappeared without a trace! all my work.. gone! Thankfully the good
old system restore helped me out. But this leads me to believe that my
situation is a unique one.

I dearly hope I am not simply being incompetent,

Thank you eternally in advance,

Stephen
brink

Re: What WAS my administration account is now a "guest account". Baffl

Stephen = Desperate;507795 Wrote:
> I am desperate. As the title suggests, my computer, which incidently has
> one
> User, namely me, now has NO admistrator on the system. So now whenever
> attempt to install programmes such as RealPlayer, my laptop
> authoritatively
> tells me that I need to contact my administrator in order to receive
> permission to download such software. Hang on though... I am the
> administrator surely? Apparently not any longer. How has this come
> about?
>
> I am not entirely sure - but it could have been when I was
> investigating
> whether my Laptop has a fingerprint reader built in - it is possible
> that a
> few settings were changed. But I cannot change it back. I dont even
> have the
> rights to get into "parental control".
>
> I CAN enter parts of control panel where i can change my account type
> (and
> other stuff) - but when I go to change it to "administrator" (or
> anything
> else), it looks as though it has done it, but when i return it remains
> "Stephen
> Guest account
> Password Protected"
>
> I'm not even a standard user! What is guest account? The ACTUAL guest
> account is turned off incidentally.
>
> I have, as the site suggests, read up to see if there are any similar
> situations, and there is - however "Ronnie Vernon MVP"'s advice caused
> me to
> nearly have a heart attack. When I went into safe mode, I created an
> administrator account, with the view to then access that and change my
> original account to an administrator account also. However, my old
> account
> actually disappeared without a trace! all my work.. gone! Thankfully
> the good
> old system restore helped me out. But this leads me to believe that my
> situation is a unique one.
>
> I dearly hope I am not simply being incompetent,
>
> Thank you eternally in advance,
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Try booting into Safe Mode. This will take you into the built-in
Administrator account. When it starts up, try to change your user
account back to a Administrator account. This tutorial will show you how
to get into safe mode if needed. Just select "Safe Mode" when you get
to the "Advanced Boot Options" screen.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...t-options.html

Shawn

--