Wierd account problems.

ryanru

Wierd account problems.
Ok so here is what is going on, if somebody can help it would be appreciated.
I setup my computer with my name having admin rights. Then used it for a long
time. I went in and started adjusting the setting (stupid i know) and ended
up not having myself have admin rights. So i try to login as the admin and
the admin logon is not there. (yes i tried CTR+Alt+Delete, yes i tried safe
mode boot up) and the biggest problem i have is the when i goto regedit and
try and put a (1) indside the hex to allow the admin account to be seen, it
says i do not have permision to do so. So if anyone has an idea it would be
appreciated. I know the password of the other admin account but can not get
to an area to login besides the main GUI.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Wierd account problems.
Ryanru

When you log into Safe Mode do you see an account named Administrator? This
built-in account should appear in safe mode if there are no other
administrator accounts left on the system.

Also, do you have an installation DVD for Vista?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"ryanru" <ryanru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news67CEE6A-A099-4D97-9B14-B9BD27031C22@microsoft.com...
> Ok so here is what is going on, if somebody can help it would be
> appreciated.
> I setup my computer with my name having admin rights. Then used it for a
> long
> time. I went in and started adjusting the setting (stupid i know) and
> ended
> up not having myself have admin rights. So i try to login as the admin and
> the admin logon is not there. (yes i tried CTR+Alt+Delete, yes i tried
> safe
> mode boot up) and the biggest problem i have is the when i goto regedit
> and
> try and put a (1) indside the hex to allow the admin account to be seen,
> it
> says i do not have permision to do so. So if anyone has an idea it would
> be
> appreciated. I know the password of the other admin account but can not
> get
> to an area to login besides the main GUI.

ryanru

Re: Wierd account problems.
Ronnie thank you for the reply, unfortunately there are two accounts with
admin privileges. There is the administrator account and the admin account
which is a user account with admin rights. Neither of which can I get a login
to, and neither of which I can seem to make any changes. The admin account is
selected as (do not display) -as my privileges won't let me uncheck it- and
the other is the regular admin account that you can only see by changing the
0 to a 1 in regedit. -Which I also get a permission error for- and yes I do
have my installation DVD, it is vista ultimate. Thank you again.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Ryanru
>
> When you log into Safe Mode do you see an account named Administrator? This
> built-in account should appear in safe mode if there are no other
> administrator accounts left on the system.
>
> Also, do you have an installation DVD for Vista?
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "ryanru" <ryanru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news67CEE6A-A099-4D97-9B14-B9BD27031C22@microsoft.com...
> > Ok so here is what is going on, if somebody can help it would be
> > appreciated.
> > I setup my computer with my name having admin rights. Then used it for a
> > long
> > time. I went in and started adjusting the setting (stupid i know) and
> > ended
> > up not having myself have admin rights. So i try to login as the admin and
> > the admin logon is not there. (yes i tried CTR+Alt+Delete, yes i tried
> > safe
> > mode boot up) and the biggest problem i have is the when i goto regedit
> > and
> > try and put a (1) indside the hex to allow the admin account to be seen,
> > it
> > says i do not have permision to do so. So if anyone has an idea it would
> > be
> > appreciated. I know the password of the other admin account but can not
> > get
> > to an area to login besides the main GUI.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Wierd account problems.
Ryanru

Go to the following website and use the 'Option 2'. This will allow you to
access the Vista recovery environment using the install DVD. This procedure
will make the built-in administrator account visible on the login screen and
will also remove any passwords on this account. You can then use this
account to get everything set properly on the other accounts.

What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator account:
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx

--

> Ronnie thank you for the reply, unfortunately there are two accounts with
> admin privileges. There is the administrator account and the admin account
> which is a user account with admin rights. Neither of which can I get a
> login
> to, and neither of which I can seem to make any changes. The admin account
> is
> selected as (do not display) -as my privileges won't let me uncheck it-
> and
> the other is the regular admin account that you can only see by changing
> the
> 0 to a 1 in regedit. -Which I also get a permission error for- and yes I
> do
> have my installation DVD, it is vista ultimate. Thank you again.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ryanru
>>
>> When you log into Safe Mode do you see an account named Administrator?
>> This
>> built-in account should appear in safe mode if there are no other
>> administrator accounts left on the system.
>>
>> Also, do you have an installation DVD for Vista?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "ryanru" <ryanru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news67CEE6A-A099-4D97-9B14-B9BD27031C22@microsoft.com...
>> > Ok so here is what is going on, if somebody can help it would be
>> > appreciated.
>> > I setup my computer with my name having admin rights. Then used it for
>> > long
>> > time. I went in and started adjusting the setting (stupid i know) and
>> > ended
>> > up not having myself have admin rights. So i try to login as the admin
>> > and
>> > the admin logon is not there. (yes i tried CTR+Alt+Delete, yes i tried
>> > safe
>> > mode boot up) and the biggest problem i have is the when i goto regedit
>> > and
>> > try and put a (1) indside the hex to allow the admin account to be
>> > seen,
>> > it
>> > says i do not have permision to do so. So if anyone has an idea it
>> > would
>> > be
>> > appreciated. I know the password of the other admin account but can not
>> > get
>> > to an area to login besides the main GUI.

ryanru

Re: Wierd account problems.
Thank you so much Ronnie, all is back to normal in Vista land. I searched all
day yesterday for something like that to no avail. Your the man.

Glad this helped. Enjoy.