Parental Controls: Activity Report: Deleted Web-Sites Visited?

DigitalDad

Parental Controls: Activity Report: Deleted Web-Sites Visited?
I have parental controls setup with Activity Reporting activated. For a
couple of weeks, this worked fine, but I recently noticed that the Web
Browsing section has been cleared out (Top 10 Web Sites visited, etc). What
causes this (when a user deleted browsing history from IE, does this wipe out
the data from Parental Controls tracking as well)? Any way to keep it from
being cleared out (what program would you block access to to prevent the
deletion of browsing history in IE)?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Parental Controls: Activity Report: Deleted Web-Sites Visited?
I haven't been able to re-create what you are describing?

If Parental Controls are enabled for a user account, the activity report is
a completely separate entity from the browsing history. Deleting the
browsing history has no effect on what is already logged in the activity
report. Even disabling / re-enabling parental controls doesn't clear the
activity log?

Is there any other action that may have been performed that would effect
this, such as a recent system restore, or......?

In the Activity Viewer check the sections in the General System menu. This
will log any changes made to settings that might possibly effect the logs.

Right after the initial Vista release, we performed some extensive testing,
trying to find a way for a standard user to override the parental control
settings and we were not able to find any way to accomplish this.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"DigitalDad" <DigitalDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have parental controls setup with Activity Reporting activated. For a
> couple of weeks, this worked fine, but I recently noticed that the Web
> Browsing section has been cleared out (Top 10 Web Sites visited, etc).
> What
> causes this (when a user deleted browsing history from IE, does this wipe
> out
> the data from Parental Controls tracking as well)? Any way to keep it
> from
> being cleared out (what program would you block access to to prevent the
> deletion of browsing history in IE)?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Parental Controls: Activity Report: Deleted Web-Sites Visited?
DD

OK, I just came across some of my notes when we were testing this last year.
Here are some things I had forgotten.

The Parental Control Activity Reports are generated in the Event Viewer.

Press the WINKEY+R and type eventvwr.exe and click OK. This will open the
Event Viewer.
Navigate to the following location:
Applications and Services logs/Microsoft/Windows/Parental
Controls/Operational.

You will see all of the activity for the Parental Controls there. They
appear very cryptic, but the activity report component extracts the
important parts and displays them in plain language.

The important thing is that if you clear this log in the event viewer, this
also clears the activity report in Parental Controls. (Right click
Operational and select Clear Log)
Also, the event viewer component depends on the 'Event Log Service' and the
'Windows Event Collector service' to function properly. Make sure that these
services are running and set to Automatic in the Services component.

There are also some optional settings if you right click the Operational
item and select Properties. You can set the maximum size for the log and
other options in that dialog.

Of course all of these components require administrator privilege access.
Makw sure that you are using a strong password for your admin account.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

>I haven't been able to re-create what you are describing?
>
> If Parental Controls are enabled for a user account, the activity report
> is a completely separate entity from the browsing history. Deleting the
> browsing history has no effect on what is already logged in the activity
> report. Even disabling / re-enabling parental controls doesn't clear the
> activity log?
>
> Is there any other action that may have been performed that would effect
> this, such as a recent system restore, or......?
>
> In the Activity Viewer check the sections in the General System menu. This
> will log any changes made to settings that might possibly effect the logs.
>
> Right after the initial Vista release, we performed some extensive
> testing, trying to find a way for a standard user to override the parental
> control settings and we were not able to find any way to accomplish this.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "DigitalDad" <DigitalDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have parental controls setup with Activity Reporting activated. For a
>> couple of weeks, this worked fine, but I recently noticed that the Web
>> Browsing section has been cleared out (Top 10 Web Sites visited, etc).
>> What
>> causes this (when a user deleted browsing history from IE, does this wipe
>> out
>> the data from Parental Controls tracking as well)? Any way to keep it
>> from
>> being cleared out (what program would you block access to to prevent the
>> deletion of browsing history in IE)?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Parental Controls: Activity Report: Deleted Web-Sites Visited?
Clearing the browsing history does not erase Parental control data. The Parental control info is stored in the event logs. Did you clear the logs lately?

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/155/1/

--
Regards,