Parental Controls

Scott M.

Parental Controls
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate Edition as a Domain client workstation.

Microsoft assumes that if you are using Vista in a Domain, you must not be a
home user and wouldn't need the parental controls. So, when a Vista client
is joined to a domain, the parental controls become unavailable.

Is there any way to enable the parental controls feature in Vista under this
network configuration?

Semin Ozden

Re: Parental Controls
Hi, the steps below will solve your problem:

1- Run gpedit.msc

2- In the left-side tree, open as follows: Local Computer Policy>Computer
Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Parental Controls

3- Find the "Make Parental Controls control panel visible on a Domain"
policy and Enable it.

4- Exit gpedit

5- Log out and back in

The Parental Controls UI will now be visible and may be used on
non-domain-joined accounts.

--

Semin Özden
Microsoft Office Trainings Product Manager

"Scott M." <s-mar@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>I am using Windows Vista Ultimate Edition as a Domain client workstation.
>
> Microsoft assumes that if you are using Vista in a Domain, you must not be
> a home user and wouldn't need the parental controls. So, when a Vista
> client is joined to a domain, the parental controls become unavailable.
>
> Is there any way to enable the parental controls feature in Vista under
> this network configuration?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Parental Controls
Scott

You can enable the Parental Controls on a domain joined machine, but the way
I understand it, it will only work for accounts when they are not actually
joined to the domain. See the following website for more information.

Windows Vista Team Blog : A Review of Windows Vista's Parental Controls:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...-controls.aspx

<quote>

Posted by Nick White

Hey Rich Lusk: While Parental Controls are indeed disabled on domain-joined
accounts (as this is almost entirely a business-only scenario -- yours is
the first case where I've heard otherwise), there is a Group Policy setting
that should unhide the PC UI on domain-joined machines:

- Run gpedit.msc (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Run...)

- In the left-side tree, drill down as follows: Local Computer
Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
Components->Parental Controls

- Set the “Make Parental Controls control panel visible on a Domain” policy
to Enabled

- Exit gpedit

- Log out and back in

The Parental Controls UI will now be visible and may be used on
non-domain-joined accounts.

Hope this helps.

</quote>

Hope this helps.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Scott M." <s-mar@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>I am using Windows Vista Ultimate Edition as a Domain client workstation.
>
> Microsoft assumes that if you are using Vista in a Domain, you must not be
> a home user and wouldn't need the parental controls. So, when a Vista
> client is joined to a domain, the parental controls become unavailable.
>
> Is there any way to enable the parental controls feature in Vista under
> this network configuration?

Scott M.

Re: Parental Controls
> The Parental Controls UI will now be visible and may be used on
> non-domain-joined accounts.

But, as I said, this is pertaining to Domian accounts, not non-domain joined
accounts.

Scott M.

Re: Parental Controls
Thanks, but I am working with a domain workstation and domain accounts.