Windows Product ID not regognized by Microsoft!

Deepanjan

Windows Product ID not regognized by Microsoft!
I got an OEM Windows Vista Premium with my Dell Vostro. Yet, when I'm trying
to contact Microsoft via technical support (and providing the Windows Product
id), the site site says that it's either invalid or the format is wrong.

The Product ID is genuine and the format is abolutely right. What's more,
when I'm using IE7 to automatically let Microsoft download a file that
communicates to them the Product ID, the same problem arises!!!

How on earth can this be possible? Am I not allowed Microsoft support in
spite of paying for Windows? This is crazy.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Windows Product ID not regognized by Microsoft!
Hello,

firstly, what issue were you going to ask to solve at the technical support?
Maybe we can solve it here
Have you been there: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ ?
If necessary, get into contact with Dell to see if they've made a mistake
with the license.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"Deepanjan" <Deepanjan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I got an OEM Windows Vista Premium with my Dell Vostro. Yet, when I'm
>trying
> to contact Microsoft via technical support (and providing the Windows
> Product
> id), the site site says that it's either invalid or the format is wrong.
>
> The Product ID is genuine and the format is abolutely right. What's more,
> when I'm using IE7 to automatically let Microsoft download a file that
> communicates to them the Product ID, the same problem arises!!!
>
> How on earth can this be possible? Am I not allowed Microsoft support in
> spite of paying for Windows? This is crazy.

Bruce Chambers

Deepanjan wrote:
> I got an OEM Windows Vista Premium with my Dell Vostro. Yet, when I'm trying
> to contact Microsoft via technical support (and providing the Windows Product
> id), the site site says that it's either invalid or the format is wrong.
>
> The Product ID is genuine and the format is abolutely right. What's more,
> when I'm using IE7 to automatically let Microsoft download a file that
> communicates to them the Product ID, the same problem arises!!!
>
> How on earth can this be possible? Am I not allowed Microsoft support in
> spite of paying for Windows? This is crazy.

Microsoft does not provide free support for OEM installations, so that
Product ID will naturally fail the automated checks. If you really want
Microsoft Support, call them and have a credit card ready. Otherwise,
contact the computer's manufacturer for all support issues.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Windows Product ID not regognized by Microsoft!
"Am I not allowed Microsoft support in spite of paying for Windows?
This is crazy."
That is not "crazy", that is the way it is for OEM.
Support, if available comes from the OEM.
Contact Dell for support.
One of the many reasons you paid less for your OEM than others paid
for retail.

You can also start a new thread and post details of your issue in an
appropriate newsgroup.
Someone will probably be able to help you find a resolution.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Deepanjan" <Deepanjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got an OEM Windows Vista Premium with my Dell Vostro. Yet, when I'm
>trying
> to contact Microsoft via technical support (and providing the
> Windows Product
> id), the site site says that it's either invalid or the format is
> wrong.
>
> The Product ID is genuine and the format is abolutely right. What's
> more,
> when I'm using IE7 to automatically let Microsoft download a file
> that
> communicates to them the Product ID, the same problem arises!!!
>
> How on earth can this be possible? Am I not allowed Microsoft
> support in
> spite of paying for Windows? This is crazy.

Navigator1925

Re: Windows Product ID not regognized by Microsoft!
When you contact Dell they will tell you that they support the hardware but
not the software, even if they sold it to you on the computer. They will
offer to help you with the siftware on a fee per call basis. I have found
these BBs the best place for MS help and advice.

ed

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> "Am I not allowed Microsoft support in spite of paying for Windows?
> This is crazy."
> That is not "crazy", that is the way it is for OEM.
> Support, if available comes from the OEM.
> Contact Dell for support.
> One of the many reasons you paid less for your OEM than others paid
> for retail.
>
> You can also start a new thread and post details of your issue in an
> appropriate newsgroup.
> Someone will probably be able to help you find a resolution.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Deepanjan" <Deepanjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I got an OEM Windows Vista Premium with my Dell Vostro. Yet, when I'm
> >trying
> > to contact Microsoft via technical support (and providing the
> > Windows Product
> > id), the site site says that it's either invalid or the format is
> > wrong.
> >
> > The Product ID is genuine and the format is abolutely right. What's
> > more,
> > when I'm using IE7 to automatically let Microsoft download a file
> > that
> > communicates to them the Product ID, the same problem arises!!!
> >
> > How on earth can this be possible? Am I not allowed Microsoft
> > support in
> > spite of paying for Windows? This is crazy.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Windows Product ID not regognized by Microsoft!
What support is furnished by Dell and other OEMs depends on the
specific warranty which can vary greatly.
As you suggest, often better and faster support is from other sources.

Even when there is software support it is usually limited to the
software and operating system sold with the computer.

--

"Navigator1925" <Navigator1925@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsBBF077F-52DD-4ED6-B269-E19BA0300CAE@microsoft.com...