Rogue user name and account

billmbrown

Rogue user name and account
ne of the user names on my computer is not an alphabetic name but only a
right-bracket : i.e., "]". It is not listed in the various user accounts. I
do not know how it was created and would like to get rid of it. It inteferes
with many operations and usually gives an error such as "can not find
C:/user/?"; of course the system is looking for a user name such as "Bill",
"Public", or "default" and finds "]" instead.

Can anyone help? It would be appreciated.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Rogue user name and account
Hello,

try the following: Right-click the Command prompt link and select "Run as
administrator".
Type
net user HereTheUserName /DELETE
and hit Enter, where HereTheUserName is the exact name of this weird user
account.

Hope this will work.
Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> try the following: Right-click the Command prompt link and select "Run as
> administrator".
> Type
> net user HereTheUserName /DELETE
> and hit Enter, where HereTheUserName is the exact name of this weird user
> account.
>
> Hope this will work.
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
> --
> ////////////////////////////
> http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language
> ///////////////////////////
>
> "billmbrown" <billmbrown@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > ne of the user names on my computer is not an alphabetic name but only a
> > right-bracket : i.e., "]". It is not listed in the various user accounts.
> > do not know how it was created and would like to get rid of it. It
> > inteferes
> > with many operations and usually gives an error such as "can not find
> > C:/user/?"; of course the system is looking for a user name such as
> > "Bill",
> > "Public", or "default" and finds "]" instead.
> >
> > Can anyone help? It would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info but unfortunately it did not work! It returned the
systax of the net user command. Nothing seems to acknowledge the presence of
] as a user name. I guess I will have to save all my data and downloads and
reformat the hard drive and re-install the operating system. I don't have an
original Vista operating system disl so I will have to depend on a recovery
drive setup by Dell.

Thanks for you try to aid me.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Rogue user name and account
Bill

When you look in Windows Explorer at C:\Users do you see a folder with that
" ] " name?
Is there any other folder under 'Users' there that has a different name than
the user accounts that you can see in Control Panel/User Accounts?

If it's not there, press WINKEY+R and type regedit.exe and press OK.

In the registry editor, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Expand the ProfileList key and click on each one of the sub-keys. Do you see
a profile named with the right bracket or any other user profile that
doesn't belong there?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP