RE: File permissions still not working

kenneth coder

RE: File permissions still not working
why would any of us want to boot in safe mode every time we wanted to remove
or change things. this is not an acceptable choice. too many things are
grayed out such as besides this what about the startup menu now in tools. i
have 131 items in start up and have no permission no matter what i do to
change this. has anyone tried to remove a user yet? yes you can disable but
no permission to remove. what are the answers. vista was far too not ready
for the public and these issues are costing us way too much time!

"Link" wrote:

> Some how the computer whas using a file in that folder, thats why i couldnt
> delete it, but upon reboot, all was ok. thanks for the help.
>
> "abckid" wrote:
>
> > Did you try to boot into Safe Mode and delete it ?
> >
> > abc.
> >
> > "Link" wrote:
> >
> > > I read through about 6 pages of this help section on file permissions and
> > > admin permissions but i still have this one file that i cannot delete or
> > > rename. i tryed all the file permissions but all the boxes in settings are
> > > grayed and say I have full permissions with everything being checked except
> > > the special permissions tab. after i tried that i moved on to clicking start
> > > then typing explorer and running windows explorer as an admin, still wouldnt
> > > let me rename or delete this file. ive ran out of ideas and am getting very
> > > frustrated.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: File permissions still not working
Kenneth

> i have 131 items in start up and have no permission no matter what i do to
> change this.

If you are referring to the MSconfig utility, Startup Tab, you want to make
sure you are running that utility with admin privileges. You should see a
UAC elevation prompt when you start the utility.

You can either remove the check mark from an item to disable that item or
look at the location where the item is starting from, go there and delete
the shortcut for that item.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP