Taking ownership of Vista files and folders from an XP machine

KapitiTech

Taking ownership of Vista files and folders from an XP machine
We have a situation where we need to recover a customers data from a Hard
Drive that has a corrupt Vista installation. Our workshop only uses XP based
machines, (we will not convert to Vista) and we can mount the Vista volume
and see files and folders, but cannot take ownership of those files and
folders in order to complete a data port. Is there any way to take ownership
of those files and folders or are we going to have to build a Vista system in
order to take ownership of that Data. We have added the option to take
ownership (as per well documented methods on the web) but as there is no
trust relationship between the Vista corrupt system, our XP machine or our
domain, we cannot take ownership of the files. Bear in mind please if the
only way is to build that additional machine, then we will likely charge that
out against the data recovery and i suspect with that additional charge the
customer will not bother to retrieve the data. Before anyone suggests it we
have tried Vista Virtual machines and that is a no go. HP as the OEM provider
of the faulty system have no answer to date. Microsoft technical help just
bounce us to HP.
-- Welcome suggestions at this point
Kapiti Tech
brink

Re: Taking ownership of Vista files and folders from an XP machine

KapitiTech;497062 Wrote:
> We have a situation where we need to recover a customers data from a
> Hard
> Drive that has a corrupt Vista installation. Our workshop only uses XP
> based
> machines, (we will not convert to Vista) and we can mount the Vista
> volume
> and see files and folders, but cannot take ownership of those files and
> folders in order to complete a data port. Is there any way to take
> ownership
> of those files and folders or are we going to have to build a Vista
> system in
> order to take ownership of that Data. We have added the option to take
> ownership (as per well documented methods on the web) but as there is
> no
> trust relationship between the Vista corrupt system, our XP machine or
> our
> domain, we cannot take ownership of the files. Bear in mind please if
> the
> only way is to build that additional machine, then we will likely
> charge that
> out against the data recovery and i suspect with that additional charge
> the
> customer will not bother to retrieve the data. Before anyone suggests
> it we
> have tried Vista Virtual machines and that is a no go. HP as the OEM
> provider
> of the faulty system have no answer to date. Microsoft technical help
> just
> bounce us to HP.
> -- Welcome suggestions at this point
> Kapiti Tech

Hi Kapiti Tech,

You might consider trying to do a Repair Install. This will allow you
to repair your Vista installation without loosing your files, settings,
and programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Hope this helps you in this situation.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
GTS

Re: Taking ownership of Vista files and folders from an XP machine
It's a long shot, but I would try booting UBCD4Windows (or similar tool) and
see you have any better luck from its environment. If you do PC service,
can you really avoid Vista indefinitely?
--

"KapitiTech" <KapitiTech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a situation where we need to recover a customers data from a Hard
> Drive that has a corrupt Vista installation. Our workshop only uses XP
> based
> machines, (we will not convert to Vista) and we can mount the Vista volume
> and see files and folders, but cannot take ownership of those files and
> folders in order to complete a data port. Is there any way to take
> ownership
> of those files and folders or are we going to have to build a Vista system
> in
> order to take ownership of that Data. We have added the option to take
> ownership (as per well documented methods on the web) but as there is no
> trust relationship between the Vista corrupt system, our XP machine or our
> domain, we cannot take ownership of the files. Bear in mind please if the
> only way is to build that additional machine, then we will likely charge
> that
> out against the data recovery and i suspect with that additional charge
> the
> customer will not bother to retrieve the data. Before anyone suggests it
> we
> have tried Vista Virtual machines and that is a no go. HP as the OEM
> provider
> of the faulty system have no answer to date. Microsoft technical help just
> bounce us to HP.
> -- Welcome suggestions at this point
> Kapiti Tech

KapitiTech

Re: Taking ownership of Vista files and folders from an XP machine
Thanks for the suggestion. The repair reinstall is where we thought we would
end up as well and it is a real possiblity depending on exactly what HP
actually send us. They have promised to ship a "recovery CD" as the standard
F11 recovery does not work.
As to the issue of avoiding Vista completely- all i can offer is our own
experience. To date we have yet to sell a Vista machine and that goes for
laptops as well, and that is what 9 months into the consumer release, so i
think we'll probably have no problem avoiding the conversion for a while yet.
We seem to sell a solid amount of XP equiped machines though, so with a bit
of luck we may avoid this particular OS completely and hope that the next
iteration is a more friendly release.
--
Kapiti Tech