Password and Fingerprint

Hestia

Password and Fingerprint
Hi,
I have a fingerprint scanner on my computer as well as a password set on my
computer, where I can either enter my password to log on or swipe my
fingerprint, how would I integrate both of these so that I would have to do
both to log on (swipe finger print and type in password)
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Password and Fingerprint
Hello,

maybe I'm wrong, but what I have heard, it's not possible. You'd, I think,
have to use a third party fingerprint reader with third-party software for
that.

However, you can use SYSKEY to prevent Windows from loading. There, you can
set up a password that is required before the logon screen appears. Press
Windows-key + R -> syskey -> Enter. Click Update, and check the option using
the password.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"Hestia" <Hestia@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
> I have a fingerprint scanner on my computer as well as a password set on
> my
> computer, where I can either enter my password to log on or swipe my
> fingerprint, how would I integrate both of these so that I would have to
> do
> both to log on (swipe finger print and type in password)

Steve Riley [MSFT]

Re: Password and Fingerprint
Most consumer-grade fingerprint readers attempt to use your fingerprints to
replace your passwords. This is actually a security mistake, because while
passwords are supposed to be secrets, your fingerprints certainly are not.
You can change your passwords an infinite number of times; how many chances
to you get to revoke your fingers?

I've written more about this here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0206.mspx

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com

"Hestia" <Hestia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a fingerprint scanner on my computer as well as a password set on
> my
> computer, where I can either enter my password to log on or swipe my
> fingerprint, how would I integrate both of these so that I would have to
> do
> both to log on (swipe finger print and type in password)

Maureen

Re: Password and Fingerprint
I am not able to use my finger print swipe at all. Cleaned swipe mechanism
and did not help. Problem just devoloped so I have used password. Says not
recognizing finger print. Any suggestions what to do. Please help. I am
novice and not willing to take many risks.

"Steve Riley [MSFT]" wrote:

> Most consumer-grade fingerprint readers attempt to use your fingerprints to
> replace your passwords. This is actually a security mistake, because while
> passwords are supposed to be secrets, your fingerprints certainly are not.
> You can change your passwords an infinite number of times; how many chances
> to you get to revoke your fingers?
>
> I've written more about this here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0206.mspx
>

> --
> Steve Riley
> steve.riley@microsoft.com
> http://blogs.technet.com/steriley
> http://www.protectyourwindowsnetwork.com
>

> "Hestia" <Hestia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a fingerprint scanner on my computer as well as a password set on
> > my
> > computer, where I can either enter my password to log on or swipe my
> > fingerprint, how would I integrate both of these so that I would have to
> > do
> > both to log on (swipe finger print and type in password)

Maureen

Re: Fingerprint and downloads
Please tell me why I loose fingerprint swipe after certain downloads???Cannot
name any specific downloads. I like using it and it disappeared after a
download. I can get in using password. Called Lenovo to ask why, did not
know. Told me to uninstall Omni and Rein. That is too much trouble and I am
not comfortable doing that. Vista is OS I hope someone has some opinions
and solutions. Thank you.