BIOS upgrade

Jeff

BIOS upgrade
I'm trying to do a bios upgrade on a compaq presario f500 and am getting the
message that you must be logged on as administator to run both the bios
program from packed the HP web site (sp3687.exe) and the unpacked executable
(SWinFlash.exe).

I have tried run as administrator on both files, have tried going to dos and
doing a net user administrator /active, etc. and nothing seems to work. HP is
suggesting I completely reinstall vista to fix this problem. They contention
is that i shouldn't have to run as administrator on the packed file, and if I
do, it should work and upgrade the bios.

They also think I shouldn't have to run as administrator on the
swinflash.exe file. however, if I do, I get a little furthter, and get a
phoenix winflash screen looking like it wants to flash the bios, however it
is looking for the location of the existing bios file and the new bios file.
These are blank and i cannot flash the bios.

HP thinks there are registry settings that need to be changed in order to
make this work. Any ideas?
P. Di Stolfo

Re: BIOS upgrade
Hello,

HP support should be responsible for the correct working of an HP notebook,
so it's an original product of them? Their flash software should also be
compatible with Vista, as I may say.
Is it really necessary to flash the BIOS?
Did you download the file from here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...2093&lang= en ?
From what I can see, is the SWinFlash older than Vista itself.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
////////////////////////////
http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm trying to do a bios upgrade on a compaq presario f500 and am getting
> the
> message that you must be logged on as administator to run both the bios
> program from packed the HP web site (sp3687.exe) and the unpacked
> executable
> (SWinFlash.exe).
>
> I have tried run as administrator on both files, have tried going to dos
> and
> doing a net user administrator /active, etc. and nothing seems to work. HP
> is
> suggesting I completely reinstall vista to fix this problem. They
> contention
> is that i shouldn't have to run as administrator on the packed file, and
> if I
> do, it should work and upgrade the bios.
>
> They also think I shouldn't have to run as administrator on the
> swinflash.exe file. however, if I do, I get a little furthter, and get a
> phoenix winflash screen looking like it wants to flash the bios, however
> it
> is looking for the location of the existing bios file and the new bios
> file.
> These are blank and i cannot flash the bios.
>
> HP thinks there are registry settings that need to be changed in order to
> make this work. Any ideas?

Jeff

Re: BIOS upgrade
Thanks. Yes, that is the file used. I agree HP should resolve the issue, but
they were stumped, so their only fix is a complete reinstall of Vista. One
thing that might work would be a boot disk version of the biosflash, however,
we couldn't find one. I also was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the
registry permissions that might override the "you must be logged on as
administrator" message.

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> HP support should be responsible for the correct working of an HP notebook,
> so it's an original product of them? Their flash software should also be
> compatible with Vista, as I may say.
> Is it really necessary to flash the BIOS?
> Did you download the file from here:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...2093&lang= en ?
> From what I can see, is the SWinFlash older than Vista itself.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
> --
> ////////////////////////////
> http://blog.lysorp.com - Small Windows blog in German language
> ///////////////////////////
>
> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I'm trying to do a bios upgrade on a compaq presario f500 and am getting
> > the
> > message that you must be logged on as administator to run both the bios
> > program from packed the HP web site (sp3687.exe) and the unpacked
> > executable
> > (SWinFlash.exe).
> >
> > I have tried run as administrator on both files, have tried going to dos
> > and
> > doing a net user administrator /active, etc. and nothing seems to work. HP
> > is
> > suggesting I completely reinstall vista to fix this problem. They
> > contention
> > is that i shouldn't have to run as administrator on the packed file, and
> > if I
> > do, it should work and upgrade the bios.
> >
> > They also think I shouldn't have to run as administrator on the
> > swinflash.exe file. however, if I do, I get a little furthter, and get a
> > phoenix winflash screen looking like it wants to flash the bios, however
> > it
> > is looking for the location of the existing bios file and the new bios
> > file.
> > These are blank and i cannot flash the bios.
> >
> > HP thinks there are registry settings that need to be changed in order to
> > make this work. Any ideas?

P. Di Stolfo

Re: BIOS upgrade
Hello,

have you tried turning off User account control just for this? Start ->
Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Turn
User Account Control on or off -> Turn off .
I'm not sure which files of these are really necessary to be on the
bootdisk. Maybe there's an instruction for that on the internet.

Greetings and good luck,
P. Di Stolfo
--