When standard users access Vista registry remotely, Access Denied

Gayle

When standard users access Vista registry remotely, Access Denied
When a standard user connects to Vista Registry remotely using Regedit, on
accessing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key, an Access Denied error message dialog pops
up. Does Registry Virtualization work only when standard users access the
Registry locally & not remotely? Where can I get more information about this
behavior of Registry Virtualization on Vista?

Domain Administrators can access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key without any error.
Does Registry virtualization work differently for standard users?
joedreadlock

Re: When standard users access Vista registry remotely, Access Denied
This behavior is not unique to Vista, users must be local administrators on
the remote PC to view the registry on a remote PC.
Domain Administrators, by default, are members of the local administrators
group on any PC joined to the Domain.

Regarding local registry access, all users are permitted to view the
registry locally. Keys have permissions assigned restricting certain parts
of the registry from view, as well as determining read/only vs. modify vs.
full control access to keys.
Thus, a standard user can access the local registry, limited to browsing and
modifying specific keys based upon registry permissions.
A standard user cannot connect to the registry of a remote PC.