login as administrator to install software

oldjeff

login as administrator to install software
I am trying install software from a DVD but get the message "to install the
software you must have administrator rights, log in as administrator and
start again" however I am logged in as user/administrator - I'm the sole
user What's up?

Thanks

Old Jeff
PaulB

RE: login as administrator to install software
Go to the setup.exe file on the DVD and right click and select "Run as
administrator".
--
Paul

"oldjeff" wrote:

> I am trying install software from a DVD but get the message "to install the
> software you must have administrator rights, log in as administrator and
> start again" however I am logged in as user/administrator - I'm the sole
> user What's up?
>
> Thanks
>
> Old Jeff

oldjeff

RE: login as administrator to install software
Hi Paul

Thanks - that did it - what was happening was that auto run was getting in
the way

Oldjeff

"PaulB" wrote:

> Go to the setup.exe file on the DVD and right click and select "Run as
> administrator".
> --
> Paul
>

> "oldjeff" wrote:
>
> > I am trying install software from a DVD but get the message "to install the
> > software you must have administrator rights, log in as administrator and
> > start again" however I am logged in as user/administrator - I'm the sole
> > user What's up?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Old Jeff

PaulB

RE: login as administrator to install software
Hi Jeff
You are welcome. Glad it worked out.

--
Paul

"oldjeff" wrote:

> Hi Paul
>
> Thanks - that did it - what was happening was that auto run was getting in
> the way
>
> Oldjeff
>
> "PaulB" wrote:
>
> > Go to the setup.exe file on the DVD and right click and select "Run as
> > administrator".
> > --
> > Paul
> >

> > "oldjeff" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying install software from a DVD but get the message "to install the
> > > software you must have administrator rights, log in as administrator and
> > > start again" however I am logged in as user/administrator - I'm the sole
> > > user What's up?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Old Jeff

kristin

"cookbook" permissions setup for sole user?
Just wondering if there were some broad generalizations that could be made
for the person running Vista as a sole user. I would like to set this up so
that I have full access to my system without turning off the UAC.

This is a Vista Home Premium clean install. I am not having big problems but
I would like to have a plan for a consistent setup. I did not set up any
other users.

I have 4 partitioned drives. CDE partitions are on the same drive. They
are set to "Authenticated User" with full permission and I don't seem to be
able to change to any other user. When I changed the settings for this
particular "Authenticated User" I got the message that my reclyle bin was
corrupted and that I could not access my system information file...did I
want to continue...if I did it might cause instability...so when I chose to
cancel there was a messaage about inconsistencies??

My other drives are all set to "Everyone" with full permission. "Everyone"
is not an available user for the CDE partitions.

Thank you.

kristin

Steve Riley [MSFT]

Re: "cookbook" permissions setup for sole user?
Don't change the default permissions. The defaults are suitable for your
situation.

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com

"kristin" <khrysalis@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering if there were some broad generalizations that could be made
> for the person running Vista as a sole user. I would like to set this up
> so that I have full access to my system without turning off the UAC.
>
> This is a Vista Home Premium clean install. I am not having big problems
> but I would like to have a plan for a consistent setup. I did not set up
> any other users.
>
> I have 4 partitioned drives. CDE partitions are on the same drive. They
> are set to "Authenticated User" with full permission and I don't seem to
> be able to change to any other user. When I changed the settings for this
> particular "Authenticated User" I got the message that my reclyle bin was
> corrupted and that I could not access my system information file...did I
> want to continue...if I did it might cause instability...so when I chose
> to cancel there was a messaage about inconsistencies??
>
> My other drives are all set to "Everyone" with full permission. "Everyone"
> is not an available user for the CDE partitions.
>

> Thank you.
>
> kristin

Eddie

RE: login as administrator to install software
Jeff,
I am all but a computer whiz, yet I can do almost nothing on MY computer.
All I am trying to do is REMOVE programs and I can't. It says I need
permission to do that. From who? It's MY computer. I AM the administrator.
Do you or anyone you know know how to REMOVE software? I've removed
software for years but for some unknown reason in Vista you need "permission"
from some computer god or something. I am losing countless hours of work
trying to figure this out. Would it be easier to just go buy a MAC? Please
help if you can.
Thanks,
Eddie