Preloaded software

Tablespider

Preloaded software
Hi

As someone who hates AOL with a passion (it's pernicious) how can I remove
it from my new Vista HP PC?

It doesn't seem to show up under the "remove programs" option.. probably
because I haven't taken the option of actually installing it (which makes
sense) but I want to remove any sight of, in case of accidental installation,
or just to have it removed from my menus and from the registry...

Help

Tablespider
f/fgeorge

Re: Preloaded software
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:58:01 -0700, Tablespider
<Tablespider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>As someone who hates AOL with a passion (it's pernicious) how can I remove
>it from my new Vista HP PC?
>
>It doesn't seem to show up under the "remove programs" option.. probably
>because I haven't taken the option of actually installing it (which makes
>sense) but I want to remove any sight of, in case of accidental installation,
>or just to have it removed from my menus and from the registry...
>
>Help
>
>Tablespider

Lool for the program 'pc-decrapifier'. It is designed to remove all
pre-installed junk off new computers. It gives you a list of stuff to
remove so you can leave what you want to.
Tablespider

Re: Preloaded software
Sounds perfect, has anyone else used this.. I have to confess to some
trepidation..

"f/fgeorge" wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:58:01 -0700, Tablespider
> <Tablespider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >As someone who hates AOL with a passion (it's pernicious) how can I remove
> >it from my new Vista HP PC?
> >
> >It doesn't seem to show up under the "remove programs" option.. probably
> >because I haven't taken the option of actually installing it (which makes
> >sense) but I want to remove any sight of, in case of accidental installation,
> >or just to have it removed from my menus and from the registry...
> >
> >Help
> >
> >Tablespider

> Lool for the program 'pc-decrapifier'. It is designed to remove all
> pre-installed junk off new computers. It gives you a list of stuff to
> remove so you can leave what you want to.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Preloaded software
If you haven't set AOL up yet, there shouldn't be anything in the registry.
Right click the AOL installation shortcut and select Properties, this should
tell you where the installation files are located. Go there and delete the
AOL folder and then delete any shortcuts you find.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Tablespider" <Tablespider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> As someone who hates AOL with a passion (it's pernicious) how can I
> remove
> it from my new Vista HP PC?
>
> It doesn't seem to show up under the "remove programs" option.. probably
> because I haven't taken the option of actually installing it (which makes
> sense) but I want to remove any sight of, in case of accidental
> installation,
> or just to have it removed from my menus and from the registry...
>
> Help
>
> Tablespider

Tablespider

Re: Preloaded software
As it's not an actual programme - as you suggest - do I just do a trawl
through the registry?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> If you haven't set AOL up yet, there shouldn't be anything in the registry.
> Right click the AOL installation shortcut and select Properties, this should
> tell you where the installation files are located. Go there and delete the
> AOL folder and then delete any shortcuts you find.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Tablespider" <Tablespider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > As someone who hates AOL with a passion (it's pernicious) how can I
> > remove
> > it from my new Vista HP PC?
> >
> > It doesn't seem to show up under the "remove programs" option.. probably
> > because I haven't taken the option of actually installing it (which makes
> > sense) but I want to remove any sight of, in case of accidental
> > installation,
> > or just to have it removed from my menus and from the registry...
> >
> > Help
> >
> > Tablespider

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Preloaded software
If this is the AOL9 that comes with many new systems, It's an installation
program. Go ahead and try a registry search and let us know what you find.

--

> As it's not an actual programme - as you suggest - do I just do a trawl
> through the registry?
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> If you haven't set AOL up yet, there shouldn't be anything in the
>> registry.
>> Right click the AOL installation shortcut and select Properties, this
>> should
>> tell you where the installation files are located. Go there and delete
>> the
>> AOL folder and then delete any shortcuts you find.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Tablespider" <Tablespider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > As someone who hates AOL with a passion (it's pernicious) how can I
>> > remove
>> > it from my new Vista HP PC?
>> >
>> > It doesn't seem to show up under the "remove programs" option..
>> > probably
>> > because I haven't taken the option of actually installing it (which
>> > makes
>> > sense) but I want to remove any sight of, in case of accidental
>> > installation,
>> > or just to have it removed from my menus and from the registry...
>> >
>> > Help
>> >
>> > Tablespider

Tablespider

Re: Preloaded software
First thing found (and nothing actually changed yet):

OEM0 REG_SZ C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Online
Services\United Kingdom\AOL 9.0.Ink

OEM0 REG_SZ C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Easy Internet Services.Ink

My instant thought would be to "modify" and delete the entry.. is that the
way forward... and I assume (I'll go and check) that because AOL software is
so pernicious, there'll be more entries dotted throughout the registry.

Appreciate the help.

Liam