Administrator account problems

JoeB

Administrator account problems
Hi thanks for any help you may be able to give. I own Vista home premium, its
an oem copy and today for the first time I decided to reinstall. I did a
clean install and the system boots right into the hidded admin account that
is normally disabled by default. So I went to a command prompt and did the
"net user administrator /active:no" command. Upon reboot i get the message
"Your account has been disabled, please contact your administrator" So I
enabled it again and figured I would just password protect the admin account,
doing so gets me the error on bootup. account name and password do not match.
"its late, it was close to that but may not have been worded quite the same"
Can anyone help me just disable the admin account and not have the errors on
bootup?

Thank you much

Joe
Michael

Re: Administrator account problems
Joe,

I am confused (fairly normal state).

If it booted into the built in administrator account that should only have
happened if you did not creat any 'your name' administrator account.
The presence of any administrator account on the system in addition to the
built in one is supposed to disable the built in account.

So the question is did you successfully create an account/ password during
the installation?

Also after you did the net user administrator /active:no command and
rebooted what account did you use to enable it again? I would have thought
that the built in account would have been disabled so you could not use
that.

Michael
Vista Home Premium OEM Dell

"JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi thanks for any help you may be able to give. I own Vista home premium,
> its
> an oem copy and today for the first time I decided to reinstall. I did a
> clean install and the system boots right into the hidded admin account
> that
> is normally disabled by default. So I went to a command prompt and did the
> "net user administrator /active:no" command. Upon reboot i get the message
> "Your account has been disabled, please contact your administrator" So I
> enabled it again and figured I would just password protect the admin
> account,
> doing so gets me the error on bootup. account name and password do not
> match.
> "its late, it was close to that but may not have been worded quite the
> same"
> Can anyone help me just disable the admin account and not have the errors
> on
> bootup?
>
> Thank you much
>
> Joe

JoeB

Re: Administrator account problems
I am sorry I should have been more clear. Yes I did create a administrator
account while Vista was installing. so there are 2 admin accounts, My account
Named "Joe" that is an admin account and the built in Administrator account.
I know it is supposed to disable the built in account and thus my confusion
as well.
My acct "Joe" is how I was able to enable and disable the built in acct
running the cmd.exe as an admin.
I know that I can run the netplwiz and just have the "Joe" acct log right
into windows but I want to get to the bottom of this problem and learn
something in the process as well.

Thanks for the reply Michael.

"Michael" wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I am confused (fairly normal state).
>
> If it booted into the built in administrator account that should only have
> happened if you did not creat any 'your name' administrator account.
> The presence of any administrator account on the system in addition to the
> built in one is supposed to disable the built in account.
>
> So the question is did you successfully create an account/ password during
> the installation?
>
> Also after you did the net user administrator /active:no command and
> rebooted what account did you use to enable it again? I would have thought
> that the built in account would have been disabled so you could not use
> that.
>
> Michael
> Vista Home Premium OEM Dell
>
> "JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi thanks for any help you may be able to give. I own Vista home premium,
> > its
> > an oem copy and today for the first time I decided to reinstall. I did a
> > clean install and the system boots right into the hidded admin account
> > that
> > is normally disabled by default. So I went to a command prompt and did the
> > "net user administrator /active:no" command. Upon reboot i get the message
> > "Your account has been disabled, please contact your administrator" So I
> > enabled it again and figured I would just password protect the admin
> > account,
> > doing so gets me the error on bootup. account name and password do not
> > match.
> > "its late, it was close to that but may not have been worded quite the
> > same"
> > Can anyone help me just disable the admin account and not have the errors
> > on
> > bootup?
> >
> > Thank you much
> >
> > Joe

Michael

Re: Administrator account problems
Follow up, did you have a password with the 'joe' account? That may be part
of the trigger disabling the built in account.

Item to check is the automatic logon setting.

the command is

control userpasswords2

You can check here that 'joe' is still an Administrator.
There is a check box for Users must enter a user name and password to use
this computer.
If not set then it will want an account and password to use for the login.
Perhaps somehow it is using the Administrator
account, the password it would be using would be what was in force at the
time that the automatic login was established. That would be before you
changed the password so that might be the cause of the password error on
startup.

I think that another consequence of changing the administrator password is
that any background processes started by the schedular on Administrators
behalf will also have the 'wrong' password. Not sure that 'Administrator' is
actual owner of any of the scheduled tasks however.

Michael

> [...]
>> > an oem copy and today for the first time I decided to reinstall. I did
>> > clean install and the system boots right into the hidded admin account
>> > that
>> > is normally disabled by default. So I went to a command prompt and did
>> > the
>> > "net user administrator /active:no" command. Upon reboot i get the
>> > message
>> > "Your account has been disabled, please contact your administrator" So
>> > enabled it again and figured I would just password protect the admin
>> > account,
>> > doing so gets me the error on bootup. account name and password do not
>> > match.
>> > "its late, it was close to that but may not have been worded quite the
>> > same"
>> > Can anyone help me just disable the admin account and not have the

Whoops
I note that the
control userpasswrds2
and
netplwiz are the same thing

Michael

> [...]
>> > an oem copy and today for the first time I decided to reinstall. I did
>> > clean install and the system boots right into the hidded admin account
>> > that
>> > is normally disabled by default. So I went to a command prompt and did
>> > the
>> > "net user administrator /active:no" command. Upon reboot i get the
>> > message
>> > "Your account has been disabled, please contact your administrator" So
>> > enabled it again and figured I would just password protect the admin
>> > account,
>> > doing so gets me the error on bootup. account name and password do not
>> > match.
>> > "its late, it was close to that but may not have been worded quite the
>> > same"
>> > Can anyone help me just disable the admin account and not have the

JoeB

Re: Administrator account problems
Yes I did create a password for my account "Joe" at the time the account was
created.
So I guess the best thing to do then would be use the netplwiz and enable
booting right into the Joe account and then disable the admin account
altogether?

This should work, I am at this point I guess fishing for a reason why Vista
would do this or what would cause this. You never know when I may run into
this again...

I will try doing this and reply back with the results.. : )

Thanks for taking the time to reply Michael, I appreciate it.

"Michael" wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Whoops
> I note that the
> control userpasswrds2
> and
> netplwiz are the same thing
>
> Michael
>

> "JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am sorry I should have been more clear. Yes I did create a administrator
> > account while Vista was installing. so there are 2 admin accounts, My
> > account
> > Named "Joe" that is an admin account and the built in Administrator
> > account.
> > I know it is supposed to disable the built in account and thus my
> > confusion
> > as well.
> > My acct "Joe" is how I was able to enable and disable the built in acct
> > running the cmd.exe as an admin.
> > I know that I can run the netplwiz and just have the "Joe" acct log right
> > into windows but I want to get to the bottom of this problem and learn
> > something in the process as well.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply Michael.
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Joe,
> >>
> >> I am confused (fairly normal state).
> >>
> >> If it booted into the built in administrator account that should only
> >> have
> >> happened if you did not creat any 'your name' administrator account.
> >> The presence of any administrator account on the system in addition to
> >> the
> >> built in one is supposed to disable the built in account.
> >>
> >> So the question is did you successfully create an account/ password
> >> during
> >> the installation?
> >>
> >> Also after you did the net user administrator /active:no command and
> >> rebooted what account did you use to enable it again? I would have
> >> thought
> >> that the built in account would have been disabled so you could not use
> >> that.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >> Vista Home Premium OEM Dell

JoeB

Re: Administrator account problems
Ok I disabled the built in account and for kicks I rebooted and got the "your
account has been disabled, please contact your systems administrator" which I
figured would be the case. That is what really confuses me is why would vista
report that for an account that should be disable by default? After reboot I
ran the netplwiz and this time it worked.... my system boots to the log on
screen and no errors. I just pop in my password and log in. YAY!

Thanks again Michael!!

"JoeB" wrote:

> Yes I did create a password for my account "Joe" at the time the account was
> created.
> So I guess the best thing to do then would be use the netplwiz and enable
> booting right into the Joe account and then disable the admin account
> altogether?
>
> This should work, I am at this point I guess fishing for a reason why Vista
> would do this or what would cause this. You never know when I may run into
> this again...
>
> I will try doing this and reply back with the results.. : )
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply Michael, I appreciate it.
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > Joe,
> >
> > Whoops
> > I note that the
> > control userpasswrds2
> > and
> > netplwiz are the same thing
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > "JoeB" <JoeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am sorry I should have been more clear. Yes I did create a administrator
> > > account while Vista was installing. so there are 2 admin accounts, My
> > > account
> > > Named "Joe" that is an admin account and the built in Administrator
> > > account.
> > > I know it is supposed to disable the built in account and thus my
> > > confusion
> > > as well.
> > > My acct "Joe" is how I was able to enable and disable the built in acct
> > > running the cmd.exe as an admin.
> > > I know that I can run the netplwiz and just have the "Joe" acct log right
> > > into windows but I want to get to the bottom of this problem and learn
> > > something in the process as well.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply Michael.

Michael

Re: Administrator account problems