forgot password

Fox

forgot password
kind of odd u may think, but I'm the administrator for my laptop and I forgot
my password, I can still get on because of my fingerprint reader but I wonder
what would happen if it ever broke? please can someone help me reset the
password somehow?
--
SK Fox
GreenieLeBrun

Re: forgot password

Fox wrote:
> kind of odd u may think, but I'm the administrator for my laptop and
> I forgot my password, I can still get on because of my fingerprint
> reader but I wonder what would happen if it ever broke? please can
> someone help me reset the password somehow?

Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ . There you will find
zip files that will let you create boot floppy disks or bootable CDs
that will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
operating system

Sharon F

Re: forgot password
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:14:04 -0700, Fox wrote:

> kind of odd u may think, but I'm the administrator for my laptop and I forgot
> my password, I can still get on because of my fingerprint reader but I wonder
> what would happen if it ever broke? please can someone help me reset the
> password somehow?

Click the start orb and then "Help and Support." In the search field, type
in: lost password and press Enter. A page will appear explaining how to
reset the password. You'll also want to check the "what are the risks of
resetting a password?" in the "See also:" section at the bottom of that
page.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: forgot password
Fox

This is a bit long winded, but it is a simple process.

The only way you can do this, if you did not create a password reset disk
when you created the password, is to remove the password for your account
when logged in with another administrator account.

The easiest way to do this is to temporarily enable the Built-in
Administrator account and remove the password on your administrator account.
Follow these steps.

Go to Start and type: cmd.exe In the Results, right click the Cmd.exe
program and select the Run As Administrator option.

In the command window, copy / paste the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

Press Enter. You should see a message that the command was successful. This
will place the built-in administrator account on the login screen.

Next, go to Start and click the arrow to the right of the lock computer
button. In that menu, click Switch User. When the login screen appears click
the built-in Administrator account and log on.

Go to Control Panel / User Accounts. Select Manage Another Account. Select
your administrator account and then click the Remove Password option. Click
the Remove Password button.

Now go back to the same boot menu and this time select the Log Off item. On
the login screen, select your administrator account.

Once you are logged on, use the same steps to open the administrator command
prompt and use the same command, only this time change the "yes" to "no".
This will hide the built-in administrator account again.

Open Control Panel / User Accounts, select your administrator account and
create a new password. This time, create a Password Reset Disk that you can
use if you ever forget your password again.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Fox" <Fox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> kind of odd u may think, but I'm the administrator for my laptop and I
> forgot
> my password, I can still get on because of my fingerprint reader but I
> wonder
> what would happen if it ever broke? please can someone help me reset the
> password somehow?
> --
> SK Fox

nehasingh_nathcorp

RE: forgot password

Dear sir,
You can do it easily by these steps-go to control panel ->go to
administrative tools->go to computer management->users and group option->go
to user->right click users->set password option and reset your password.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: forgot password
Nehasingh

You cannot change the password for an account that you are currently logged
onto the system with unless you know the old password.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"nehasingh_nathcorp" <nehasinghnathcorp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:11349884-D2B8-4E5A-B0FE-3C4721478610@microsoft.com...

> Dear sir,
> You can do it easily by these steps-go to control panel ->go to
> administrative tools->go to computer management->users and group
> option->go
> to user->right click users->set password option and reset your password.

nehasingh_nathcorp

Re: forgot password

sir
u can do this,it wont ask you the old password.u try the steps, i have
written over there.
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Nehasingh
>
> You cannot change the password for an account that you are currently logged
> onto the system with unless you know the old password.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "nehasingh_nathcorp" <nehasinghnathcorp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:11349884-D2B8-4E5A-B0FE-3C4721478610@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Dear sir,
> > You can do it easily by these steps-go to control panel ->go to
> > administrative tools->go to computer management->users and group
> > option->go
> > to user->right click users->set password option and reset your password.

Debrad

Re: forgot password
I found this post and tried to follow these instructions. Can't believe I
forgot my admin password, and now can't access my account. Your fix sounds
simple so I tried it but I do not have the option of selecting users and
group option after I go into computer management. I have Windows Vista. Any
ideas?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Nehasingh
>
> You cannot change the password for an account that you are currently logged
> onto the system with unless you know the old password.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "nehasingh_nathcorp" <nehasinghnathcorp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:11349884-D2B8-4E5A-B0FE-3C4721478610@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Dear sir,
> > You can do it easily by these steps-go to control panel ->go to
> > administrative tools->go to computer management->users and group
> > option->go
> > to user->right click users->set password option and reset your password.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: forgot password
Debrad

The reason you cannot get to "users and groups" is probably because you have
the Home Basic or Home Premium version of Vista. That component is not
available in those 2 versions. You need to do the following instead.

"Debrad" <Debrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found this post and tried to follow these instructions. Can't believe I
> forgot my admin password, and now can't access my account. Your fix sounds
> simple so I tried it but I do not have the option of selecting users and
> group option after I go into computer management. I have Windows Vista.
> Any
> ideas?
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Nehasingh
>>
>> You cannot change the password for an account that you are currently
>> logged
>> onto the system with unless you know the old password.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "nehasingh_nathcorp" <nehasinghnathcorp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:11349884-D2B8-4E5A-B0FE-3C4721478610@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > Dear sir,
>> > You can do it easily by these steps-go to control panel ->go to
>> > administrative tools->go to computer management->users and group
>> > option->go
>> > to user->right click users->set password option and reset your
>> > password.

Debrad

Re: forgot password
I signed onto another account and tried to follow these instructions but that
doesn't work either. There are no other admin accounts on this machine. There
has to be a way in somehow. At this point I'm really unsure if I've
forgotten it or if I have an error. I am sure I know what it was but . .
doesn't work . . . if anyone has any further ideas, I'd appreciate it. . .