How administrator can access user account password (parental contr

Karter123

How administrator can access user account password (parental contr
I am a parent and want to know how to know what my childrens (users)
passwords are. Knowing this will allow me as the admin to go into their files
and audit them for security purposes.

thanks.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: How administrator can access user account password (parental contr
Karter

As an administrator, you should have unrestricted access to your childrens
standard user files. Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\childrens
account name. You can navigate through all of their files from there.

If you want to log on with one of the childrens standard accounts, you will
need to ask them for the password. You could also log on with your
administrator account and go to Control Panel/User Accounts, Manage another
account and select one of the childrens accounts. You can change or remove
their password for the account.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Karter123" <Karter123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a parent and want to know how to know what my childrens (users)
> passwords are. Knowing this will allow me as the admin to go into their
> files
> and audit them for security purposes.
>
> thanks.

Karter123

Re: How administrator can access user account password (parental c
Thanks, Ronnie. Another reason I want to know their passwords is to be able
to get into other places like their email and see what they are sending
/receiving. I suspect that just like me, they use the same password for
everything. So, I ask again, is it possible to extract their password from
Vista? I know I can change their password but that defeats my purpose of
checking on their mysterious activities without their knowledge. Please,
please help me.

thanks again.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Karter
>
> As an administrator, you should have unrestricted access to your childrens
> standard user files. Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\childrens
> account name. You can navigate through all of their files from there.
>
> If you want to log on with one of the childrens standard accounts, you will
> need to ask them for the password. You could also log on with your
> administrator account and go to Control Panel/User Accounts, Manage another
> account and select one of the childrens accounts. You can change or remove
> their password for the account.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Karter123" <Karter123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am a parent and want to know how to know what my childrens (users)
> > passwords are. Knowing this will allow me as the admin to go into their
> > files
> > and audit them for security purposes.
> >
> > thanks.

Bruce Chambers

Karter123 wrote:
> I am a parent and want to know how to know what my childrens (users)
> passwords are. Knowing this will allow me as the admin to go into their files
> and audit them for security purposes.
>
> thanks.

As Administrator, simply set your children's passwords to what you, the
parent, want them to be, and then give those passwords to the children.
(Or were you thinking of sneaking behind their backs? Can't be done
without their knowing you've tampered.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: How administrator can access user account password (parental c
Karter

I'm afraid that the passwords cannot be retrieved from within windows.

You can access any of their information using your administrator account. If
they are using the default Windows Mail, The emails are in the
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail folder. Expand this
folder and you will see all of the sub-folders. The emails they have sent
will be in the Sent Items folder. Make sure you using the Details View,
click once on the top of the Date Modified column to re-order the emails by
date. You can also check the Inbox and any of the other folders there.
Double click an email to open and read it.

--

newsB0995E8-2526-4148-AABA-E52046289969@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, Ronnie. Another reason I want to know their passwords is to be
> able
> to get into other places like their email and see what they are sending
> /receiving. I suspect that just like me, they use the same password for
> everything. So, I ask again, is it possible to extract their password from
> Vista? I know I can change their password but that defeats my purpose of
> checking on their mysterious activities without their knowledge. Please,
> please help me.
>
> thanks again.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Karter
>>
>> As an administrator, you should have unrestricted access to your
>> childrens
>> standard user files. Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\childrens
>> account name. You can navigate through all of their files from there.
>>
>> If you want to log on with one of the childrens standard accounts, you
>> will
>> need to ask them for the password. You could also log on with your
>> administrator account and go to Control Panel/User Accounts, Manage
>> another
>> account and select one of the childrens accounts. You can change or
>> remove
>> their password for the account.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Karter123" <Karter123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am a parent and want to know how to know what my childrens (users)
>> > passwords are. Knowing this will allow me as the admin to go into their
>> > files
>> > and audit them for security purposes.
>> >
>> > thanks.

Karter123

Re: How administrator can access user account password (parental c
Thanks, Bruce.