Computer auto starting

Cliff

Computer auto starting
I shut my laptop down on a Thursday evening and don't require it until the
following Monday. However when I return on Monday it has already started
itself up and has been running since the previous Friday. I realise that this
is probably simply a box that I need to uncheck but not being very computer
literate I've not found it, could someone please help. I'm running Windows
Vista.

Thanks.

G. Clifford
Ph1loSophy

RE: Computer auto starting
If you've powered it off, then someone must be powering it on. I have a bios
level password on mine so that even if they power it on, they can't get into
the programs. My company's IT staff does maintenance (loading new virus
definitions and security updates, etc.) Could something like this be
happening? Finally, you can look at your task scheduler to see if you've got
a setting to wake the computer for the task (only applicable if you're
hibernating the computer, not powering it off).

"Cliff" wrote:

> I shut my laptop down on a Thursday evening and don't require it until the
> following Monday. However when I return on Monday it has already started
> itself up and has been running since the previous Friday. I realise that this
> is probably simply a box that I need to uncheck but not being very computer
> literate I've not found it, could someone please help. I'm running Windows
> Vista.
>
> Thanks.
>
> G. Clifford

Sharon F

Re: Computer auto starting
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:04:12 -0700, Cliff wrote:

> I shut my laptop down on a Thursday evening and don't require it until the
> following Monday. However when I return on Monday it has already started
> itself up and has been running since the previous Friday. I realise that this
> is probably simply a box that I need to uncheck but not being very computer
> literate I've not found it, could someone please help. I'm running Windows
> Vista.
>
> Thanks.
>
> G. Clifford

Are you powering off or placing the system into one of the sleep states? Be
sure about what's happening. In Power Management/Power Plans, the power
button for a laptop can be configured to alternatives other than "power
off."

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
f/fgeorge

Re: Computer auto starting
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:38:40 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:04:12 -0700, Cliff wrote:
>
>> I shut my laptop down on a Thursday evening and don't require it until the
>> following Monday. However when I return on Monday it has already started
>> itself up and has been running since the previous Friday. I realise that this
>> is probably simply a box that I need to uncheck but not being very computer
>> literate I've not found it, could someone please help. I'm running Windows
>> Vista.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> G. Clifford

>Are you powering off or placing the system into one of the sleep states? Be
>sure about what's happening. In Power Management/Power Plans, the power
>button for a laptop can be configured to alternatives other than "power
>off."

More options can be found in most BIOSes, they include things like
letting the network card wake the pc, etc.
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Computer auto starting
Hello,
You can check wake history to see if there is something waking the machine
up and what it was.
open an elevated cmd prompt and run:
powercfg /lastwake
Reports information about what woke the system from the last sleep
transition

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: f/fgeorge <ffgeorge@yourplace.com>
|> Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords