Administrator Account

SandyW

Administrator Account
I recently purchased a new computer with Vista installed- at first all was
good - now I cannot access some of the information that I should be able to-
ie, I cannot access documents and settings any suggestions?? Yes I am
signed in as administrator
--
Sandy W
Jane C

Re: Administrator Account
Hello Sandy,

Documents and Settings is not a real folder in vista, it is what is known as
a junction point, and is there for backwards compatibility with older
programs. If you notice, it has a shortcut arrow overlay and is
semi-transparent.

'Users' is the Vista folder that replaces Documents and Settings.

MVP Jimmy Brush has an explanation on his website here:
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/vistanew.aspx

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"SandyW" <lucy@discussions.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new computer with Vista installed- at first all was
> good - now I cannot access some of the information that I should be able
> to-
> ie, I cannot access documents and settings any suggestions?? Yes I
> am
> signed in as administrator
> --
> Sandy W

SandyW

Re: Administrator Account
Jane -

Thanks for the prompt response! I have been "fighting" with this all day!!
I have several other "folders" with the shortcut arrow over them that i
cannot access - are they the same thing?
--
Sandy W

"Jane C" wrote:

> Hello Sandy,
>
> Documents and Settings is not a real folder in vista, it is what is known as
> a junction point, and is there for backwards compatibility with older
> programs. If you notice, it has a shortcut arrow overlay and is
> semi-transparent.
>
> 'Users' is the Vista folder that replaces Documents and Settings.
>
> MVP Jimmy Brush has an explanation on his website here:
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/vistanew.aspx
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "SandyW" <lucy@discussions.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a new computer with Vista installed- at first all was
> > good - now I cannot access some of the information that I should be able
> > to-
> > ie, I cannot access documents and settings any suggestions?? Yes I
> > am
> > signed in as administrator
> > --
> > Sandy W

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administrator Account
Sandy

Yes, there are many folders that were available in XP that have been changed
in Vista.

You can see a complete list of these folders with the old XP name and the
new name in Vista at the following website.

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP