Adminitrator rights

TrishO

Adminitrator rights
I have trawled through all the posts, and found one or two that I thought
might answer my question, but alas no. Problem seems to be the same but no
solution.

I am getting an error message to say that I do not have administrator rights
to save into certain folders or to put in unlock codes into new programs. My
logon has administrator rights. How do I move forward with this? I am
getting totally frustrated by not being able to use this new laptop in the
way I want to. And if I cannot unlock programs that I am legally entitled to
use, then Vista is overstepping its mark in my opinion. Security or no, we
need to draw the line somewhere.

Any help gratefully received.
PaulB

RE: Adminitrator rights
What folders can you not save to? If you mean some like Documents amd
Settings, they are not real folders, they are called junctions and are used
to interface legacy programs. Also there are two levels of administrator.
Some things must be elevated to work, normally by selecting "Run as
administrator".
--
Paul

"TrishO" wrote:

> I have trawled through all the posts, and found one or two that I thought
> might answer my question, but alas no. Problem seems to be the same but no
> solution.
>
> I am getting an error message to say that I do not have administrator rights
> to save into certain folders or to put in unlock codes into new programs. My
> logon has administrator rights. How do I move forward with this? I am
> getting totally frustrated by not being able to use this new laptop in the
> way I want to. And if I cannot unlock programs that I am legally entitled to
> use, then Vista is overstepping its mark in my opinion. Security or no, we
> need to draw the line somewhere.
>
> Any help gratefully received.

TrishO

RE: Adminitrator rights
If I try to save a photo in the My Pictures folder, I am told I don't have
rights. At the moment my biggest problem is that I have a photo editing
program that I cannot use, as I have to put in an unlock code, and I get a
message to say that I don't have sufficient privileges to do this, to log out
and log back in as administrator! So how do I give myself sufficient
privileges to be able to use my laptop properly?

"PaulB" wrote:

> What folders can you not save to? If you mean some like Documents amd
> Settings, they are not real folders, they are called junctions and are used
> to interface legacy programs. Also there are two levels of administrator.
> Some things must be elevated to work, normally by selecting "Run as
> administrator".
> --
> Paul
>

> "TrishO" wrote:
>
> > I have trawled through all the posts, and found one or two that I thought
> > might answer my question, but alas no. Problem seems to be the same but no
> > solution.
> >
> > I am getting an error message to say that I do not have administrator rights
> > to save into certain folders or to put in unlock codes into new programs. My
> > logon has administrator rights. How do I move forward with this? I am
> > getting totally frustrated by not being able to use this new laptop in the
> > way I want to. And if I cannot unlock programs that I am legally entitled to
> > use, then Vista is overstepping its mark in my opinion. Security or no, we
> > need to draw the line somewhere.
> >
> > Any help gratefully received.

PaulB

RE: Adminitrator rights
Ther is no folder called My Pictures in VISTA it is just Pictures. Try right
clicking on the Photo editing program shorcut and select "Run as
administrator"
--
Paul

"TrishO" wrote:

> If I try to save a photo in the My Pictures folder, I am told I don't have
> rights. At the moment my biggest problem is that I have a photo editing
> program that I cannot use, as I have to put in an unlock code, and I get a
> message to say that I don't have sufficient privileges to do this, to log out
> and log back in as administrator! So how do I give myself sufficient
> privileges to be able to use my laptop properly?
>
> "PaulB" wrote:
>
> > What folders can you not save to? If you mean some like Documents amd
> > Settings, they are not real folders, they are called junctions and are used
> > to interface legacy programs. Also there are two levels of administrator.
> > Some things must be elevated to work, normally by selecting "Run as
> > administrator".
> > --
> > Paul
> >

> > "TrishO" wrote:
> >
> > > I have trawled through all the posts, and found one or two that I thought
> > > might answer my question, but alas no. Problem seems to be the same but no
> > > solution.
> > >
> > > I am getting an error message to say that I do not have administrator rights
> > > to save into certain folders or to put in unlock codes into new programs. My
> > > logon has administrator rights. How do I move forward with this? I am
> > > getting totally frustrated by not being able to use this new laptop in the
> > > way I want to. And if I cannot unlock programs that I am legally entitled to
> > > use, then Vista is overstepping its mark in my opinion. Security or no, we
> > > need to draw the line somewhere.
> > >
> > > Any help gratefully received.

TrishO

RE: Adminitrator rights
Sorry, slip of the tongue as it where! Thanks for the advice. I have
managed to put in the code.

"PaulB" wrote:

> Ther is no folder called My Pictures in VISTA it is just Pictures. Try right
> clicking on the Photo editing program shorcut and select "Run as
> administrator"
> --
> Paul
>

> "TrishO" wrote:
>
> > If I try to save a photo in the My Pictures folder, I am told I don't have
> > rights. At the moment my biggest problem is that I have a photo editing
> > program that I cannot use, as I have to put in an unlock code, and I get a
> > message to say that I don't have sufficient privileges to do this, to log out
> > and log back in as administrator! So how do I give myself sufficient
> > privileges to be able to use my laptop properly?
> >
> > "PaulB" wrote:
> >
> > > What folders can you not save to? If you mean some like Documents amd
> > > Settings, they are not real folders, they are called junctions and are used
> > > to interface legacy programs. Also there are two levels of administrator.
> > > Some things must be elevated to work, normally by selecting "Run as
> > > administrator".
> > > --
> > > Paul

PaulB