transfering accounts from old computer

tim

transfering accounts from old computer
Hi everyone i just bought my new acer E380 about a mouth ago. and i am very
happy with vista so far except that i had to reinstall, the hard drive
because of a third party OEM software was corrupt after a upgrade. my problem
is i transfered my old files and settings from my old computer(windows 2000
pro) using Microsoft easy transfer. and when i set up a new account for vista
at the new boot. i tried keeping the same user name and network as on my old
computer. but now i have two users files with the same names one from my old
computer and one made with vista, and when i have the user control on i cant
access any older photos or mp3 files. is there any way to edit or merge the
two user names i tried deleting one but that does not help thanks Tim
Mark Bourne

Re: transfering accounts from old computer
tim wrote:
> Hi everyone i just bought my new acer E380 about a mouth ago. and i am very
> happy with vista so far except that i had to reinstall, the hard drive
> because of a third party OEM software was corrupt after a upgrade. my problem
> is i transfered my old files and settings from my old computer(windows 2000
> pro) using Microsoft easy transfer. and when i set up a new account for vista
> at the new boot. i tried keeping the same user name and network as on my old
> computer. but now i have two users files with the same names one from my old
> computer and one made with vista, and when i have the user control on i cant
> access any older photos or mp3 files. is there any way to edit or merge the
> two user names i tried deleting one but that does not help thanks Tim

To regain access to the files:
- right-click the folder belonging to the old user
- select Properties
- select the Security tab
- click Edit
- click Add
- type your new user name and click OK
- make sure that user is selected in the list at the top
- put a check in box next to "Full Control" under Allow
- click OK on all the remaining dialogues

You will probably be asked to give permission for the action at some
stage - click Continue or enter the admin user's password (depends if
you are logged on as an admin user or standard user)

You should now be able to access the files. You'll probably want to copy
the ones you want over to the new user's profile, and delete anything
you don't want to keep.

Hope that helps.
Mark.