Access to files across user profiles

Yohan

Access to files across user profiles
I have a new laptop with Vista.

I created several user profiles to keep my files/communications organized
for two businesses and my personal stuff. I am the only user of this computer
so I created all user profiles with ANMINISTRATOR priveledge.

I log into on (say Personal), create a document (say Word) and then try to
saed the document into one of the other profile's directory.

I get a stup MS dialog box saying that I do not have permission to do this
and it offers to save the document in the active profile's directory.

I did this all the time in XP ... why can't I do it in Vista?

Thanks for help from anyone.

P. Di Stolfo

Re: Access to files across user profiles
Hello,

right-click C:\Users, click Properties -> tab "Security" -> Advanced... ->
Owner -> Edit -> click your user. Check the checkbox "Replace owners on ..."
and click OK -> OK -> OK... Try if it will work now. If not, right-click
C:\Users again -> Properties -> tab "Security" -> Edit and make sure that
the only accounts listed are "Administrator", "Administrators", "System",
You, Users and give everyone of these all permissions.
Maybe this will be seen as a security issue, but I don't think it will hurt
anybody.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"Yohan" <Yohan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I have a new laptop with Vista.
>
> I created several user profiles to keep my files/communications organized
> for two businesses and my personal stuff. I am the only user of this
> computer
> so I created all user profiles with ANMINISTRATOR priveledge.
>
> I log into on (say Personal), create a document (say Word) and then try to
> saed the document into one of the other profile's directory.
>
> I get a stup MS dialog box saying that I do not have permission to do this
> and it offers to save the document in the active profile's directory.
>
> I did this all the time in XP ... why can't I do it in Vista?
>
> Thanks for help from anyone.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Access to files across user profiles
Yohan

Use the Public Folder for sharing files across User Profiles. This is what
it was designed for. It already has the correct permissions applied to
accomplish this.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Yohan" <Yohan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new laptop with Vista.
>
> I created several user profiles to keep my files/communications organized
> for two businesses and my personal stuff. I am the only user of this
> computer
> so I created all user profiles with ANMINISTRATOR priveledge.
>
> I log into on (say Personal), create a document (say Word) and then try to
> saed the document into one of the other profile's directory.
>
> I get a stup MS dialog box saying that I do not have permission to do this
> and it offers to save the document in the active profile's directory.
>
> I did this all the time in XP ... why can't I do it in Vista?
>
> Thanks for help from anyone.

Yohan

Re: Access to files across user profiles
Thanks for the suggestion but this does not meet my needs as it is the
opposite to what I am trying to accomplish.

I understand what the intent of the profile function is but I am not
interested in sharing my computer with other users. I simply want to "wear
different hats" and have my files reflect that.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Yohan
>
> Use the Public Folder for sharing files across User Profiles. This is what
> it was designed for. It already has the correct permissions applied to
> accomplish this.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Yohan" <Yohan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new laptop with Vista.
> >
> > I created several user profiles to keep my files/communications organized
> > for two businesses and my personal stuff. I am the only user of this
> > computer
> > so I created all user profiles with ANMINISTRATOR priveledge.
> >
> > I log into on (say Personal), create a document (say Word) and then try to
> > saed the document into one of the other profile's directory.
> >
> > I get a stup MS dialog box saying that I do not have permission to do this
> > and it offers to save the document in the active profile's directory.
> >
> > I did this all the time in XP ... why can't I do it in Vista?
> >
> > Thanks for help from anyone.

Yohan

Re: Access to files across user profiles
Thank you Di Stolfo. Your suggestion worked and it allows me to do exactly
what I have been trying to do. I apprciate your help.

Warm Regards,
Yohan

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> right-click C:\Users, click Properties -> tab "Security" -> Advanced... ->
> Owner -> Edit -> click your user. Check the checkbox "Replace owners on ..."
> and click OK -> OK -> OK... Try if it will work now. If not, right-click
> C:\Users again -> Properties -> tab "Security" -> Edit and make sure that
> the only accounts listed are "Administrator", "Administrators", "System",
> You, Users and give everyone of these all permissions.
> Maybe this will be seen as a security issue, but I don't think it will hurt
> anybody.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Yohan" <Yohan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >I have a new laptop with Vista.
> >
> > I created several user profiles to keep my files/communications organized
> > for two businesses and my personal stuff. I am the only user of this
> > computer
> > so I created all user profiles with ANMINISTRATOR priveledge.
> >
> > I log into on (say Personal), create a document (say Word) and then try to
> > saed the document into one of the other profile's directory.
> >
> > I get a stup MS dialog box saying that I do not have permission to do this
> > and it offers to save the document in the active profile's directory.
> >
> > I did this all the time in XP ... why can't I do it in Vista?
> >
> > Thanks for help from anyone.

P. Di Stolfo

Re: Access to files across user profiles
I'm glad I could help. You're welcome!
Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--