Re: Disable Fast User Switching

rescuer

Re: Disable Fast User Switching

I'm not sure if your referring to the actual fast user switching, or
disabling the log on user interface when you log in that would do away
with the icons on the log on screen and force you to type in a username
and password. I will address both.

For the log on screen user interface:

To disable the standard log on interface and force the user to have to
use a username and password (the same as XP did when you could 'Disable
fast user switching), You must do a simple edit of the registry.

Open regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersi on\Policies\System

Look for the Dword 32 bit value "dontdisplaylastusername"
Open that value and change the 'value data' to 1

Exit the registry editor and your done! You should see no more icons
on the user interface log on screen.

For disabling the actual 'fast user switching' that allows you to log
onto another account without actually logging off the account your
using, and hiding the 'Switch User' menu option:

In the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersi on\Policies\System

Create a Dword 32 bit value with the valuename
"DisableFastUserSwitching"

Set its 'value data' to 1

Again, close the registry editor, and you're done.

REMEMBER USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN EDITING THE REGISTRY!!

--
rescuer
rescuer's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30461

http://forums.techarena.in

brink

rescuer;441636 Wrote:
> I'm not sure if your referring to the actual fast user switching, or
> disabling the log on user interface when you log in that would do away
> with the icons on the log on screen and force you to type in a username
> and password. I will address both.
>
> For the log on screen user interface:
>
> To disable the standard log on interface and force the user to have to
> use a username and password (the same as XP did when you could 'Disable
> fast user switching), You must do a simple edit of the registry.
>
> Open regedit and go to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersi on\Policies\System
>
> Look for the Dword 32 bit value "dontdisplaylastusername"
> Open that value and change the 'value data' to 1
>
> Exit the registry editor and your done! You should see no more icons
> on the user interface log on screen.
>
> For disabling the actual 'fast user switching' that allows you to log
> onto another account without actually logging off the account your
> using, and hiding the 'Switch User' menu option:
>
> In the registry under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersi on\Policies\System
>
> Create a Dword 32 bit value with the valuename
> "DisableFastUserSwitching"
>
> Set its 'value data' to 1
>
> Again, close the registry editor, and you're done.
>
> REMEMBER USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN EDITING THE REGISTRY!!
>

> --
> rescuer
> rescuer's Profile: 'rescuer's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
> Support Forums of India'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30461)
> View this thread: 'Disable Fast User Switching - Administration'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=553823)
>
> 'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
> of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

The HKEY location should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersi
on\Policies\System

Ooops

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
brink

rescuer;441636 Wrote:
> I'm not sure if your referring to the actual fast user switching, or
> disabling the log on user interface when you log in that would do away
> with the icons on the log on screen and force you to type in a username
> and password. I will address both.
>
> For the log on screen user interface:
>
> To disable the standard log on interface and force the user to have to
> use a username and password (the same as XP did when you could 'Disable
> fast user switching), You must do a simple edit of the registry.
>
> Open regedit and go to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersi on\Policies\System
>
> Look for the Dword 32 bit value "dontdisplaylastusername"
> Open that value and change the 'value data' to 1
>
> Exit the registry editor and your done! You should see no more icons
> on the user interface log on screen.
>
> For disabling the actual 'fast user switching' that allows you to log
> onto another account without actually logging off the account your
> using, and hiding the 'Switch User' menu option:
>
> In the registry under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersi on\Policies\System
>
> Create a Dword 32 bit value with the valuename
> "DisableFastUserSwitching"
>
> Set its 'value data' to 1
>
> Again, close the registry editor, and you're done.
>
> REMEMBER USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN EDITING THE REGISTRY!!
>

> --
> rescuer
> rescuer's Profile: 'rescuer's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
> Support Forums of India'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30461)
> View this thread: 'Disable Fast User Switching - Administration'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=553823)
>
> 'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
> of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

Hi Rescuer,

I was able to get the Username and Password one to work, but the
disable "Switch User" one did not work. Any ideas. I used the 64 bit
Home Premium verision. Tech talk is ok, I am not a newbie.

Thank You,
Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
rescuer

Re: Disable Fast User Switching

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersi
on\Policies\System

is the key you are looking for. I misprinted it in my earlier reply.

Add the 32bit key DisableFastUserSwitching IF IT IS NOT ALREADY THERE

Change its value data to 1

This will cause the "Switch User" menu choice on your log off restart
ect. options to disapear.

This has worked on every Vista computer I have tried it on, Including
your home Premium.

Good luck!

rescuer;3137495 Wrote:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersi
> on\Policies\System
>
> is the key you are looking for. I misprinted it in my earlier reply.
>
> Add the 32bit key DisableFastUserSwitching IF IT IS NOT ALREADY THERE
>
> Change its value data to 1
>
> This will cause the "Switch User" menu choice on your log off restart
> ect. options to disapear.
>
> This has worked on every Vista computer I have tried it on, Including
> your home Premium.
>
> Good luck!

Sorry folks... my brains just not working..

THE 32 BIT KEY YOU NEED TO CREATE is "HideFastUserSwitching" NOT the
disablefastuserswitching as I noted before.

rescuer;442768 Wrote:
> rescuer;3137495 Wrote:
>
> Sorry folks... my brains just not working..
>
> THE 32 BIT KEY YOU NEED TO CREATE is "HideFastUserSwitching" NOT the
> disablefastuserswitching as I noted before.
>

> --
> rescuer
> rescuer's Profile: 'rescuer's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
> Support Forums of India'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30461)
> View this thread: 'Disable Fast User Switching - Administration'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=553823)
>
> 'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
> of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

Rescuer,

LOL, I know what you mean. I get those days myself sometimes. (haha)
It did require me to logoff and logon again for it to take affect, but
it worked.

Thank you,
Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*

josie is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Fix
This was a great fix. But is there a way to change the default picture as well?
Brink

josie;736719 Wrote:
> This was a great fix. But is there a way to change the default picture
> as well?
>

> --
> josie

Hi Josie,

Yes. This tutorial will show you how to set a default display picture
for all users in the logon screen.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...y-picture.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*

josie is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ideas
Shawn,

Thanks, this gave me some ideas. but i am trying to figure out how to set the default picture after make users login with a user name and password. after this change there is just a blank square above the user name and password screen.

Last edited by josie : 06-04-2008 at 22:54.
Brink

josie;736839 Wrote:
> Shawn,
>
> Thanks, this gave me some ideas. but i am trying to figure out how to
> set the default picture after make users login with a user name and
> password. after this change there is just a blank square above the user
> name and password screen.
>

> --
> josie

Jossie,

Yeah, it's a bug in Vista that Microsoft has not sorted out yet.

You can manually change the "user.bmp" or "guest.bmp" (no qoutes) at:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

with a bmp image of your own with the same name to have it be the
default user display picture when the account is created. It will not
stop the use from changing their display picture to something else later
though. It's doing only Step One in the tutorial.