Signed on As Administrator, no access

Carol A.

Signed on As Administrator, no access
When I am logged on (under administrator) I am not able to do any settings
adjustments.
When I try to change the DPI settings b/c everything is HUGE... it tells me
"your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Settings
Control Panel"... it also gives me that error if I try to change any other
appearances. If I go in a different way it says "This feature has been
disabled... please contact your system administrator for details"
PLEASE HELP
Thank you
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access
Carol

These settings are set through the Group Policy Editor. What version of
Vista do have installed? Is this your home computer or a computer at your
employers place of business? Does anyone else have access to an
administrator account on the computer?

Open Control Panel / User Accounts and make sure that your account shows as
an administrator account.

Let me know.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Carol A." <Carol A.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I am logged on (under administrator) I am not able to do any settings
> adjustments.
> When I try to change the DPI settings b/c everything is HUGE... it tells
> me
> "your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Settings
> Control Panel"... it also gives me that error if I try to change any other
> appearances. If I go in a different way it says "This feature has been
> disabled... please contact your system administrator for details"
> PLEASE HELP
> Thank you

tom

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access

-- Carol/Ronnie Vernon,
I have the same problem--not able to access settings. "This feature has been
disabled" Please contact your system administrator for details.""
I encountered a Spy Shredder which seems to have caused this. I'm listed as
Administrator, although for the life of me I don't know what that means.
Home ccomputer, Vista basic, pre installed.
Thanks for help
tom

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Carol
>
> These settings are set through the Group Policy Editor. What version of
> Vista do have installed? Is this your home computer or a computer at your
> employers place of business? Does anyone else have access to an
> administrator account on the computer?
>
> Open Control Panel / User Accounts and make sure that your account shows as
> an administrator account.
>
> Let me know.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Carol A." <Carol A.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I am logged on (under administrator) I am not able to do any settings
> > adjustments.
> > When I try to change the DPI settings b/c everything is HUGE... it tells
> > me
> > "your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Settings
> > Control Panel"... it also gives me that error if I try to change any other
> > appearances. If I go in a different way it says "This feature has been
> > disabled... please contact your system administrator for details"
> > PLEASE HELP
> > Thank you

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access
Tom

Carol never returned to follow up on this problem.

Some questions.

Do you have User Account Control disabled?
What specific settings are you trying to access when you see the "Please
contact your system administrator"?

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click on the "Command Prompt"
menu item and select the "Run As Administrator" option. What happens?

Let me know.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> -- Carol/Ronnie Vernon,
> I have the same problem--not able to access settings. "This feature has
> been
> disabled" Please contact your system administrator for details.""
> I encountered a Spy Shredder which seems to have caused this. I'm listed
> as
> Administrator, although for the life of me I don't know what that means.
> Home ccomputer, Vista basic, pre installed.
> Thanks for help
> tom
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Carol
>>
>> These settings are set through the Group Policy Editor. What version of
>> Vista do have installed? Is this your home computer or a computer at your
>> employers place of business? Does anyone else have access to an
>> administrator account on the computer?
>>
>> Open Control Panel / User Accounts and make sure that your account shows
>> as
>> an administrator account.
>>
>> Let me know.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Carol A." <Carol A.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I am logged on (under administrator) I am not able to do any
>> > settings
>> > adjustments.
>> > When I try to change the DPI settings b/c everything is HUGE... it
>> > tells
>> > me
>> > "your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display
>> > Settings
>> > Control Panel"... it also gives me that error if I try to change any
>> > other
>> > appearances. If I go in a different way it says "This feature has been
>> > disabled... please contact your system administrator for details"
>> > PLEASE HELP
>> > Thank you

tom

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access
Hi Ronnie,
Do I have user account control disabled? I don't know--how can I check that?
I'm trying to get my desktop wallpaper back, and single click action. Lost
them in my stupidity with that spy shredder.
Following your instructions, I went to programs, command prompt, right click
on "Run as administrator". An old dos screen comes up with C prompt as
follows:
C;\windows\system32> cursor flashing
--
tom

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Tom
>
> Carol never returned to follow up on this problem.
>
> Some questions.
>
> Do you have User Account Control disabled?
> What specific settings are you trying to access when you see the "Please
> contact your system administrator"?
>
> Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click on the "Command Prompt"
> menu item and select the "Run As Administrator" option. What happens?
>
> Let me know.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > -- Carol/Ronnie Vernon,
> > I have the same problem--not able to access settings. "This feature has
> > been
> > disabled" Please contact your system administrator for details.""
> > I encountered a Spy Shredder which seems to have caused this. I'm listed
> > as
> > Administrator, although for the life of me I don't know what that means.
> > Home ccomputer, Vista basic, pre installed.
> > Thanks for help
> > tom
> >

> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Carol
> >>
> >> These settings are set through the Group Policy Editor. What version of
> >> Vista do have installed? Is this your home computer or a computer at your
> >> employers place of business? Does anyone else have access to an
> >> administrator account on the computer?
> >>
> >> Open Control Panel / User Accounts and make sure that your account shows
> >> as
> >> an administrator account.
> >>
> >> Let me know.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access
Tom

If you did not see a UAC prompt when you select the run as administrator
option, then UAC is probably turned off.

Open Control Panel / User Accounts. It should open with your account
showing. Click the Turn User Account Control on or off. On the next screen,
place a check mark in the UAC check box and click OK. Exit and reboot the
computer.

Now, when you try to access a function that requires administrator
privileges, you will be prompted to give permission to elevate.

--

> Hi Ronnie,
> Do I have user account control disabled? I don't know--how can I check
> that?
> I'm trying to get my desktop wallpaper back, and single click action.
> Lost
> them in my stupidity with that spy shredder.
> Following your instructions, I went to programs, command prompt, right
> click
> on "Run as administrator". An old dos screen comes up with C prompt as
> follows:
> C;\windows\system32> cursor flashing
> --
> tom
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Tom
>>
>> Carol never returned to follow up on this problem.
>>
>> Some questions.
>>
>> Do you have User Account Control disabled?
>> What specific settings are you trying to access when you see the "Please
>> contact your system administrator"?
>>
>> Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click on the "Command Prompt"
>> menu item and select the "Run As Administrator" option. What happens?
>>
>> Let me know.
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > -- Carol/Ronnie Vernon,
>> > I have the same problem--not able to access settings. "This feature has
>> > been
>> > disabled" Please contact your system administrator for details.""
>> > I encountered a Spy Shredder which seems to have caused this. I'm
>> > listed
>> > as
>> > Administrator, although for the life of me I don't know what that
>> > means.
>> > Home ccomputer, Vista basic, pre installed.
>> > Thanks for help
>> > tom

tom

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access
Ronnie,
I checked to see UAC, and it is on. I rebooted anyway, and went to
appearance-desktop background, and got same message. This feature has been
disabled. Please contact your system administrator for details.
By the way, where would I see a UAC prompt? When did I select Run as
Adminstrator option?
I hope this is something stupid I'm missing on my part.
Tom
--
tom

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Tom
>
> If you did not see a UAC prompt when you select the run as administrator
> option, then UAC is probably turned off.
>
> Open Control Panel / User Accounts. It should open with your account
> showing. Click the Turn User Account Control on or off. On the next screen,
> place a check mark in the UAC check box and click OK. Exit and reboot the
> computer.
>
> Now, when you try to access a function that requires administrator
> privileges, you will be prompted to give permission to elevate.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Ronnie,
> > Do I have user account control disabled? I don't know--how can I check
> > that?
> > I'm trying to get my desktop wallpaper back, and single click action.
> > Lost
> > them in my stupidity with that spy shredder.
> > Following your instructions, I went to programs, command prompt, right
> > click
> > on "Run as administrator". An old dos screen comes up with C prompt as
> > follows:
> > C;\windows\system32> cursor flashing
> > --
> > tom
> >

> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Tom
> >>
> >> Carol never returned to follow up on this problem.
> >>
> >> Some questions.
> >>
> >> Do you have User Account Control disabled?
> >> What specific settings are you trying to access when you see the "Please
> >> contact your system administrator"?
> >>
> >> Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click on the "Command Prompt"
> >> menu item and select the "Run As Administrator" option. What happens?
> >>
> >> Let me know.
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access
Tom

Whatever that spy shredder program did, it must have been extensive.
Accessing the Desktop Background settings is not even a task that requires
administrator privileges. It should work regardless of whether UAC is on or
off, or regardless of whether you are using an administrator account or a
standard account.

You might want to check in System Restore to see if you have a restore point
that goes back far enough to a time before this behavior started.

--

> Ronnie,
> I checked to see UAC, and it is on. I rebooted anyway, and went to
> appearance-desktop background, and got same message. This feature has
> been
> disabled. Please contact your system administrator for details.
> By the way, where would I see a UAC prompt? When did I select Run as
> Adminstrator option?
> I hope this is something stupid I'm missing on my part.
> Tom
> --
> tom
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Tom
>>
>> If you did not see a UAC prompt when you select the run as administrator
>> option, then UAC is probably turned off.
>>
>> Open Control Panel / User Accounts. It should open with your account
>> showing. Click the Turn User Account Control on or off. On the next
>> screen,
>> place a check mark in the UAC check box and click OK. Exit and reboot the
>> computer.
>>
>> Now, when you try to access a function that requires administrator
>> privileges, you will be prompted to give permission to elevate.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Ronnie,
>> > Do I have user account control disabled? I don't know--how can I check
>> > that?
>> > I'm trying to get my desktop wallpaper back, and single click action.
>> > Lost
>> > them in my stupidity with that spy shredder.
>> > Following your instructions, I went to programs, command prompt, right
>> > click
>> > on "Run as administrator". An old dos screen comes up with C prompt as
>> > follows:
>> > C;\windows\system32> cursor flashing
>> > --
>> > tom

tom

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access
Ronnie,
Thank you so much for your help. I did a system restore back to 9-20, and
voila, my family picture came up on my desk top wallpaper. I also checked to
see if I could change it, and all the options were available. Many cudos for
your patience, and believe me, I'll be even more careful than I was.
Tom
--
tom

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Tom
>
> Whatever that spy shredder program did, it must have been extensive.
> Accessing the Desktop Background settings is not even a task that requires
> administrator privileges. It should work regardless of whether UAC is on or
> off, or regardless of whether you are using an administrator account or a
> standard account.
>
> You might want to check in System Restore to see if you have a restore point
> that goes back far enough to a time before this behavior started.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ronnie,
> > I checked to see UAC, and it is on. I rebooted anyway, and went to
> > appearance-desktop background, and got same message. This feature has
> > been
> > disabled. Please contact your system administrator for details.
> > By the way, where would I see a UAC prompt? When did I select Run as
> > Adminstrator option?
> > I hope this is something stupid I'm missing on my part.
> > Tom
> > --
> > tom
> >

> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Tom
> >>
> >> If you did not see a UAC prompt when you select the run as administrator
> >> option, then UAC is probably turned off.
> >>
> >> Open Control Panel / User Accounts. It should open with your account
> >> showing. Click the Turn User Account Control on or off. On the next
> >> screen,
> >> place a check mark in the UAC check box and click OK. Exit and reboot the
> >> computer.
> >>
> >> Now, when you try to access a function that requires administrator
> >> privileges, you will be prompted to give permission to elevate.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Signed on As Administrator, no access
Tom

Your welcome, I'm very glad this worked for you.