Network Password keeps prompting

Joe

Network Password keeps prompting
Hello,

Just installed Vista Home Premium and I have it on a six server network that
the servers are W2003 enterprise. When I want to connect to a shared file I
get the normal prompt for password and I tick the box to save the password.
However after a Vista reboot it loses this password and I have to reenter it.
Can this be changed in the Home version?

Thanks
Joe
f/fgeorge

Re: Network Password keeps prompting
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 05:02:02 -0700, Joe
<Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>Just installed Vista Home Premium and I have it on a six server network that
>the servers are W2003 enterprise. When I want to connect to a shared file I
>get the normal prompt for password and I tick the box to save the password.
>However after a Vista reboot it loses this password and I have to reenter it.
>Can this be changed in the Home version?
>
>Thanks
>Joe

In XP if you just put the exact same name and password on each pc you
don't have these issues. Try it for Vista.
Joe

Re: Network Password keeps prompting
Hello F/George,

Not sure what you mean here. I didn't have a problem in XP. Besides I am
logging on with the administrator account of the servers so why would this
matter to Vista?

All my servers have identical users and passwords. I use a workgroup scenario.

So if I access a shared file on the server from Vista and use and account on
the server and I am granted access. Why then does Vista prompt me after a
reboot of Vista?

Thanks
Joe

"f/fgeorge" wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 05:02:02 -0700, Joe
> <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >Just installed Vista Home Premium and I have it on a six server network that
> >the servers are W2003 enterprise. When I want to connect to a shared file I
> >get the normal prompt for password and I tick the box to save the password.
> >However after a Vista reboot it loses this password and I have to reenter it.
> >Can this be changed in the Home version?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Joe

> In XP if you just put the exact same name and password on each pc you
> don't have these issues. Try it for Vista.

Joe

Re: Network Password keeps prompting
Hi again,

Sorry I forgot something.
I didn't have an identical user on my XP Pro box. XP Pro just cached the
password.
Now XP Home that is another story it just doesn't do it. So I used pro. Do I
need a different version of VIsta for this to happen?

"f/fgeorge" wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 05:02:02 -0700, Joe
> <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >Just installed Vista Home Premium and I have it on a six server network that
> >the servers are W2003 enterprise. When I want to connect to a shared file I
> >get the normal prompt for password and I tick the box to save the password.
> >However after a Vista reboot it loses this password and I have to reenter it.
> >Can this be changed in the Home version?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Joe

> In XP if you just put the exact same name and password on each pc you
> don't have these issues. Try it for Vista.

GTS

Re: Network Password keeps prompting
Home versions of XP and Vista cannot cache credentials. You have 2 options.
1. Create a user and password on the machine where the share resided exactly
matching the Vista machine.
2. Create a batch file which can be run from startup if you like with this
command

--
"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi again,
>
> Sorry I forgot something.
> I didn't have an identical user on my XP Pro box. XP Pro just cached the
> password.
> Now XP Home that is another story it just doesn't do it. So I used pro. Do
> need a different version of VIsta for this to happen?
>
> "f/fgeorge" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 05:02:02 -0700, Joe
>> <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> >Just installed Vista Home Premium and I have it on a six server network
>> >that
>> >the servers are W2003 enterprise. When I want to connect to a shared
>> >file I
>> >get the normal prompt for password and I tick the box to save the
>> >password.
>> >However after a Vista reboot it loses this password and I have to
>> >reenter it.
>> >Can this be changed in the Home version?
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >Joe

>> In XP if you just put the exact same name and password on each pc you
>> don't have these issues. Try it for Vista.

Joe

Re: Network Password keeps prompting
Hello GTS,

Thanks I will do that until I get an Ultimate version.
I rated your post thanks again..

Joe

"GTS" wrote:

> Home versions of XP and Vista cannot cache credentials. You have 2 options.
> 1. Create a user and password on the machine where the share resided exactly
> matching the Vista machine.
> 2. Create a batch file which can be run from startup if you like with this
> command
> >net use \\servername\sharename /USER:username-on-server password

> --
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi again,
> >
> > Sorry I forgot something.
> > I didn't have an identical user on my XP Pro box. XP Pro just cached the
> > password.
> > Now XP Home that is another story it just doesn't do it. So I used pro. Do
> > need a different version of VIsta for this to happen?
> >
> > "f/fgeorge" wrote:

> >> In XP if you just put the exact same name and password on each pc you
> >> don't have these issues. Try it for Vista.

Joe

Re: Network Password keeps prompting
Hello GTS,

I created the batch file and put it into the Startup Folder is this correct?
If so this doesn't work.

"GTS" wrote:

> Home versions of XP and Vista cannot cache credentials. You have 2 options.
> 1. Create a user and password on the machine where the share resided exactly
> matching the Vista machine.
> 2. Create a batch file which can be run from startup if you like with this
> command
> >net use \\servername\sharename /USER:username-on-server password

> --
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi again,
> >
> > Sorry I forgot something.
> > I didn't have an identical user on my XP Pro box. XP Pro just cached the
> > password.
> > Now XP Home that is another story it just doesn't do it. So I used pro. Do
> > need a different version of VIsta for this to happen?
> >
> > "f/fgeorge" wrote:

> >> In XP if you just put the exact same name and password on each pc you
> >> don't have these issues. Try it for Vista.

GTS

Re: Network Password keeps prompting
Joe,

I have used that procedure for a long time on XP Home where it works
fine, but just recalled that I ran into an issue doing it on Vista. Sorry -
it slipped my mind before. UAC interferes with running the batch from
Startup. What I did recently for 2 users with (home version) Vista laptops
at a small company I service was to create the batch file (I called it
UseShares.cmd) and put a shortcut to it on the desktop called Network
Connection. I advised the users to run it after bootup. There is a way to
circumvent UAC by using Task Scheduler to run a program as admin, but I
haven't tried it yet for this situation.

This inability to cache credentials is one of the most annoying features
of Microsoft's product stratification for profit strategy since it causes a
lot of grief even on home networks with 'home' versions of Windows.

GTS

> Hello GTS,
>

> I created the batch file and put it into the Startup Folder is this
> correct?
> If so this doesn't work.
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> Home versions of XP and Vista cannot cache credentials. You have 2
>> options.
>> 1. Create a user and password on the machine where the share resided
>> exactly
>> matching the Vista machine.
>> 2. Create a batch file which can be run from startup if you like with
>> this
>> command
>> >net use \\servername\sharename /USER:username-on-server password

>> --
>> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi again,
>> >
>> > Sorry I forgot something.
>> > I didn't have an identical user on my XP Pro box. XP Pro just cached
>> > the
>> > password.
>> > Now XP Home that is another story it just doesn't do it. So I used pro.
>> > Do
>> > need a different version of VIsta for this to happen?

Joe

Re: Network Password keeps prompting
Hello GTS,

I thank you for the help,

I own a small hosting and network company and I have always stayed away from
home because of this. I didn't research Vista on this feature in the Home
version again as I thought that is was far removed for the complaints. Well
as I have learned it is still in there.

I didn't want a home version I wanted Ultimate or business but a bussdy of
mine gave me his copy and said " Here I don't like this" and I just put it on
a demo box.

After seeing that it has networking issues I will probably upgrade to the
ultimate later as I learn more about Vista.

Thanks again
Joe

"GTS" wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I have used that procedure for a long time on XP Home where it works
> fine, but just recalled that I ran into an issue doing it on Vista. Sorry -
> it slipped my mind before. UAC interferes with running the batch from
> Startup. What I did recently for 2 users with (home version) Vista laptops
> at a small company I service was to create the batch file (I called it
> UseShares.cmd) and put a shortcut to it on the desktop called Network
> Connection. I advised the users to run it after bootup. There is a way to
> circumvent UAC by using Task Scheduler to run a program as admin, but I
> haven't tried it yet for this situation.
>
> This inability to cache credentials is one of the most annoying features
> of Microsoft's product stratification for profit strategy since it causes a
> lot of grief even on home networks with 'home' versions of Windows.
>
> GTS
>
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello GTS,
> >

> > I created the batch file and put it into the Startup Folder is this
> > correct?
> > If so this doesn't work.
> >
> > "GTS" wrote:
> >
> >> Home versions of XP and Vista cannot cache credentials. You have 2
> >> options.
> >> 1. Create a user and password on the machine where the share resided
> >> exactly
> >> matching the Vista machine.
> >> 2. Create a batch file which can be run from startup if you like with
> >> this
> >> command

GTS

Re: Network Password keeps prompting