UAC with a specific program problem

alan

UAC with a specific program problem
I installed an application as administrator.
When I launch the program, I always get an Allow or Deny prompt (ya know
like the commercial). Other programs don't have this prompt when I start them.

Then, I log in with a standard user account and the same program that had
the UAC prompt no longer prompts me.

Why is this? I would like it to be the same way when logged in as an
administrator.

I don't see any rhyme or reason to any of this.
brink

Re: UAC with a specific program problem

alan;432051 Wrote:
> I installed an application as administrator.
> When I launch the program, I always get an Allow or Deny prompt (ya
> know
> like the commercial). Other programs don't have this prompt when I
> start them.
>
> Then, I log in with a standard user account and the same program that
> had
> the UAC prompt no longer prompts me.
>
> Why is this? I would like it to be the same way when logged in as an
> administrator.
>
> I don't see any rhyme or reason to any of this.

Hi Alan,

This is normal for UAC if you can believe it. You will need to right
click the shortcut for the program in the Administrator account and
click Properties. Now click the compatibility tab and uncheck "Run as
Administrator" and click Ok. That should stop it from asking you if you
want to "Allow" the program to run with administrator rights.

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
alan

Re: UAC with a specific program problem
Thanks for the reply but this does not fix the problem.
It still prompts after doing this.

Any other advice to avoid this time wasting, finger tiring, mouse
degenerating hurdle?

"brink" wrote:

> alan;432051 Wrote:
> > I installed an application as administrator.
> > When I launch the program, I always get an Allow or Deny prompt (ya
> > know
> > like the commercial). Other programs don't have this prompt when I
> > start them.
> >
> > Then, I log in with a standard user account and the same program that
> > had
> > the UAC prompt no longer prompts me.
> >
> > Why is this? I would like it to be the same way when logged in as an
> > administrator.
> >
> > I don't see any rhyme or reason to any of this.

> Hi Alan,
>
> This is normal for UAC if you can believe it. You will need to right
> click the shortcut for the program in the Administrator account and
> click Properties. Now click the compatibility tab and uncheck "Run as
> Administrator" and click Ok. That should stop it from asking you if you
> want to "Allow" the program to run with administrator rights.
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> _http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: UAC with a specific program problem
Alan

What type of program is this? Any program that asks for access to the entire
system is going to need aministrator permissions.

If a program is completely compatible with Vista, it should not be prompting
for permissions. Here is some information, originally posted by MVP Jimmy
Brush that describes this process.

<quote>
Windows Vista does not control the UAC prompts - your application does.

It is up to your app to include a manifest file (either compiled into
the app or as a seperate file, yourapp.exe.manifest) that tells
Windows Vista how it needs to run.

Your app can tell vista one of three things:

- It never needs admin privileges, even if the user is logged in as an
admin (asInvoker)

- It needs admin privs if the user is an admin, but it can also run if
the user is not an admin (highestAvailable)

- It must have admin privs to run, and standard users cannot run it
(requiresAdministrator)

If your application has no manifest, then the first option (no admin
privs) is assumed, unless your app is determined to be an installer,
then the third option (requiresAdministrator) is assumed.

-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
</quote>

Mark Russinovich: Inside Windows Vista User Account Control
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...C/default.aspx

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"alan" <alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply but this does not fix the problem.
> It still prompts after doing this.
>
> Any other advice to avoid this time wasting, finger tiring, mouse
> degenerating hurdle?
>
> "brink" wrote:
>

>> alan;432051 Wrote:
>> > I installed an application as administrator.
>> > When I launch the program, I always get an Allow or Deny prompt (ya
>> > know
>> > like the commercial). Other programs don't have this prompt when I
>> > start them.
>> >
>> > Then, I log in with a standard user account and the same program that
>> > had
>> > the UAC prompt no longer prompts me.
>> >
>> > Why is this? I would like it to be the same way when logged in as an
>> > administrator.
>> >
>> > I don't see any rhyme or reason to any of this.

>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> This is normal for UAC if you can believe it. You will need to right
>> click the shortcut for the program in the Administrator account and
>> click Properties. Now click the compatibility tab and uncheck "Run as
>> Administrator" and click Ok. That should stop it from asking you if you
>> want to "Allow" the program to run with administrator rights.
>>
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> _http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

alan

Re: UAC with a specific program problem
I appologize, I thought this would be a general issue instead of technical
but it turned out to be technical. The problem was on our companies software.

It didn't run or had errors so I thought I needed to create a manifest. Then
the manifest worked but we kept getting prompt. So I thought it was a general
user setting maybe.

Well I recompiled the program without the manifest (or let Visual Studio
generate its own and embed it) and it worked without prompt.

Vista does make it hard for companies to update their software compatibility
issues and the lines between general settings and technical settings are so
blurred that its hard to tell where the problems are coming from.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Alan
>
> What type of program is this? Any program that asks for access to the entire
> system is going to need aministrator permissions.
>
> If a program is completely compatible with Vista, it should not be prompting
> for permissions. Here is some information, originally posted by MVP Jimmy
> Brush that describes this process.
>
> <quote>
> Windows Vista does not control the UAC prompts - your application does.
>
> It is up to your app to include a manifest file (either compiled into
> the app or as a seperate file, yourapp.exe.manifest) that tells
> Windows Vista how it needs to run.
>
> Your app can tell vista one of three things:
>
> - It never needs admin privileges, even if the user is logged in as an
> admin (asInvoker)
>
> - It needs admin privs if the user is an admin, but it can also run if
> the user is not an admin (highestAvailable)
>
> - It must have admin privs to run, and standard users cannot run it
> (requiresAdministrator)
>
> If your application has no manifest, then the first option (no admin
> privs) is assumed, unless your app is determined to be an installer,
> then the third option (requiresAdministrator) is assumed.
>
> -JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell
> Windows Vista Support FAQ - http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
> </quote>
>
> Mark Russinovich: Inside Windows Vista User Account Control
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...C/default.aspx
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "alan" <alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply but this does not fix the problem.
> > It still prompts after doing this.
> >
> > Any other advice to avoid this time wasting, finger tiring, mouse
> > degenerating hurdle?

> >> Hi Alan,
> >>
> >> This is normal for UAC if you can believe it. You will need to right
> >> click the shortcut for the program in the Administrator account and
> >> click Properties. Now click the compatibility tab and uncheck "Run as
> >> Administrator" and click Ok. That should stop it from asking you if you
> >> want to "Allow" the program to run with administrator rights.
> >>
> >> Shawn
> >>

> >> --
> >> brink
> >>
> >> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> >> _http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
> >> *Please post feedback to help others.*

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: UAC with a specific program problem
Alan

I agree with your "blurry" statement.

I'm glad you were able to make the software work properly.