Owner account password "the user name or password is incorrect"

KOSKIDUST

Owner account password "the user name or password is incorrect"
I purchased a gateway laptop with the new Windows vista Home premium
operating system. I purchased this from Best Buy and then before I left the
store and got to check contents of the computer box it was given to the Geek
squad to do some cleanup, optimization, and add safety features(which cost me
$150 extra to do). I pick it up the next day and the guy tells me to make
sure I put a password in so no one can get into my laptop. So I do that a day
or two later. While waiting to get internet service( I live in a rural area)
I had a wireless company set up but found out the guy was a criminal and
giving neighbors problems with service. So I find this Wild Blue for my area
and that was hooked up two days ago and while trying to get my laptop to go
wireless it wouldn't accept the password I gave it. so I call Best Buy they
tell me to bring it in and it shouldn't take but 15minutes to fix it. Get
there and the geek squad tells me there is no way to get into this new Vista
system without out re booting the Operating System which will leave me with
no safety guards that they put on and that If I want them to do the rebooting
and put all the stuff they did when I got it that I would cost me $150.00.
I'm so very upset I'm trying to finish up my last year in school, with a
disabled husband who isn't working trying to make it on a part time wage to
take care of my husband and two children. i DON'T HAVE MONEY TO DO THE $150
OR i WOULD DO IT EVENTHOUGH i DON'T THINK IT IS FAIR. tHEY COULD HAVE TOLD ME
ABOUT THE NEW PASSWORD PROBLEMS AND TO MAKE SURE THAT i MADE A PASSWORD
BACKUP DISK AND THE GEEK SQUAD IS SAYING THEY NEVER HEARD OF THAT. i RATHER
THINK IT IS UNFAIR WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO PEOPLE AND THAT THE INFORMATION
ABOUT THE PASSWORD BACKUP DISK SHOULD BE PUT IN THE COMPUTER. hELP PLEASE
ANYONE THAT CAN TELL ME WHAT i CAN DO TO GET INTO MY COMPUTER MY SCHOOL
STARTS sEPTEMBER 1, 2007 AND i CAN'T GET INTO THE DARN THING. iF i SEND
mICROSOFT ALL MY INFORMATION ABOUT THE PURCHASE CAN THEY HELP ME OUT?
robert.stojanov@gmail.com

Re: Owner account password "the user name or password is incorrect"
Hi,
if there is a password on the account you must look for some software
for reseting the password it's usually some boto CD.
The other option which you may try is to boot into the Safe mode.
While rebooting when the POST screen gone push F8 and from the menu
choose Safe mode.
When you enter it in the Welcome screen you will see your Account
which I understand is OWNER and the another one ADMINISTRATOR. Shoose
Adminsitrator enter your Vista and change the password for the user
OWNER.This is posabble only if that freaks from the store didn't put
password on the Administrator account.If you have the password on that
account ask them to give it to you.That should solve your problems and
save your money.
Microsoft can only helps you the same way as I told you to do, they
are not dealing with forgoten passwords and cracking them...

Good Luck and tell is this works for you...

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Owner account password "the user name or password is incorrect"
Robert

This procedure does not work in Vista the way it worked in XP.

When you boot to Safe Mode, the built-in Administrator account does not
appear on the login screen unless there are no other active Administrator
accounts on the system or unless this built-in Administrator account has
already been enabled in advance.

Since this user has simply lost the password for their Administrator
account, that account will still appear on the Safe Mode login screen, but
the built-in administrator account will not.

There is a workaround for this, but it requires the user to have a Vista
installation disk.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP