Can't see Win/ME folder

John

Can't see Win/ME folder
I brought up Vista Ultimate on a new drive.
I still have my two old drives on IDE ports from my old Win/ME system.
On one (E, I can't see E:\Download while running Vista. When I fill in
the name on the Explorer name space, it says it can't find it.

I also have another drive, F:, which also has a Download folder.
I can see it!

Further, I have a USB drive for backup. It also has a Download folder and
it is visible.

I do have the options set so that everything, including even Windows, is
visible. (If that were the problem I wouldn't see F:\Download.)

It would be nice to have a tool to check its Attributes. But I guess those
days are gone forever!

John

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't see Win/ME folder
John

It's likely an ownership / permissions issue.

You can still view the attributes like you always did. Open a command prompt
( cmd.exe ) navigate to the drive/folder/file you want to check and use the
attrib command.

You can also use the new ICACLS command to change permissions. Type icacls
/? to see the commands and syntax.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"John" <John@TheStewartWeb.com> wrote in message
news:mJSdnUHV2ZjJclTbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@centurytel.n et...
>I brought up Vista Ultimate on a new drive.
> I still have my two old drives on IDE ports from my old Win/ME system.
> On one (E, I can't see E:\Download while running Vista. When I fill in
> the name on the Explorer name space, it says it can't find it.
>
> I also have another drive, F:, which also has a Download folder.
> I can see it!
>
> Further, I have a USB drive for backup. It also has a Download folder and
> it is visible.
>
> I do have the options set so that everything, including even Windows, is
> visible. (If that were the problem I wouldn't see F:\Download.)
>
> It would be nice to have a tool to check its Attributes. But I guess
> those days are gone forever!
>
> John

John

Re: Can't see Win/ME folder
That was just great. I haven't been in a DOS environment for years. Of
course, they don't put CMD.EXE in the Vista Startup folder.

From what I learned, I think somehow the directory got deleted. I restored
it from backup.

John

> John
>
> It's likely an ownership / permissions issue.
>
> You can still view the attributes like you always did. Open a command
> prompt ( cmd.exe ) navigate to the drive/folder/file you want to check and
> use the attrib command.
>
> You can also use the new ICACLS command to change permissions. Type icacls
> /? to see the commands and syntax.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "John" <John@TheStewartWeb.com> wrote in message
> news:mJSdnUHV2ZjJclTbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@centurytel.n et...
>>I brought up Vista Ultimate on a new drive.
>> I still have my two old drives on IDE ports from my old Win/ME system.
>> On one (E, I can't see E:\Download while running Vista. When I fill in
>> the name on the Explorer name space, it says it can't find it.
>>
>> I also have another drive, F:, which also has a Download folder.
>> I can see it!
>>
>> Further, I have a USB drive for backup. It also has a Download folder
>> and it is visible.
>>
>> I do have the options set so that everything, including even Windows, is
>> visible. (If that were the problem I wouldn't see F:\Download.)
>>
>> It would be nice to have a tool to check its Attributes. But I guess
>> those days are gone forever!
>>
>> John

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't see Win/ME folder
John

Great, glad you got the problem fixed.

About the command prompt, if you use this a lot like I do, go to Start/All
Programs/Accessories. Right click the Command Prompt and select the Pin to
start menu option. This will place a shortcut on the top, left side of the
start menu. Right click this shortcut and select the Shortcut Tab/Advanced
Button. Click the Run as Administrator check box. Apply/OK.

Very handy.