MS support doesn't recognize my Vista Product ID number

David

MS support doesn't recognize my Vista Product ID number
I recently purchased a HP PC with Vista Home Premium. I obtained the Product
ID # and submitted that to MS Support. The response came back that the
number was invalid. I checked and am keying-in the correct number. Why
doesn't MS Support recognize my Product ID #? Thanks, David
Richard G. Harper

Re: MS support doesn't recognize my Vista Product ID number
Because your Product ID is an "OEM" ID, which means that HP must provide the
support you need, not Microsoft. HP bought the copy of Windows that came
with your PC at a significant discount and in return contracted with
Microsoft to provide support for that copy of Windows.

>I recently purchased a HP PC with Vista Home Premium. I obtained the
>Product
> ID # and submitted that to MS Support. The response came back that the
> number was invalid. I checked and am keying-in the correct number. Why
> doesn't MS Support recognize my Product ID #? Thanks, David

David

Re: MS support doesn't recognize my Vista Product ID number
Thanks!

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Because your Product ID is an "OEM" ID, which means that HP must provide the
> support you need, not Microsoft. HP bought the copy of Windows that came
> with your PC at a significant discount and in return contracted with
> Microsoft to provide support for that copy of Windows.

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a HP PC with Vista Home Premium. I obtained the
> >Product
> > ID # and submitted that to MS Support. The response came back that the
> > number was invalid. I checked and am keying-in the correct number. Why
> > doesn't MS Support recognize my Product ID #? Thanks, David

Richard G. Harper

Re: MS support doesn't recognize my Vista Product ID number
You're welcome.