XP To Vista File Access

When I had XP I had a family picture files protected where they could not be
shared however I could open them when I wished. Now with Vista I'm unable to
access them at all. When they open they just show an X in the middle of the
screen. I've tried to do everything to them however I get the same old Admin
Access is needed. I am the Admin however with these I cannot chose to run as
ADMIN as the option is not given. This is driving me nuts that I cannot
access these files and can't even delete them. PLEASE HELP!
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: XP To Vista File Access

What is the name of the folder with the pictures and where is the folder
located?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I had XP I had a family picture files protected where they could not
> be
> shared however I could open them when I wished. Now with Vista I'm unable
> access them at all. When they open they just show an X in the middle of
> the
> screen. I've tried to do everything to them however I get the same old
> Admin
> Access is needed. I am the Admin however with these I cannot chose to run
> as
> ADMIN as the option is not given. This is driving me nuts that I cannot
> access these files and can't even delete them. PLEASE HELP!

Re: XP To Vista File Access
The Pictures are located Under HP Aministrator > Pictures > and I have many
pictures there that I can access just not one file that was protected before.
Would it help if I told you all the files are in Green not Black?

> The Pictures are located Under HP Aministrator > Pictures > and I have
> many
> pictures there that I can access just not one file that was protected
> before.
> Would it help if I told you all the files are in Green not Black?

Oops! If the files are in Green, this means that these files are encrypted.
I hope you still have the computer with XP installed on it or that you
backed up the Encryption Certificate when you encrypted those files. Without
that encryption certificate those files cannot be recovered.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Re: XP To Vista File Access
The computer that I have Vista on is the original computer. I just upgraded
to Vista on the same computer so shouldn't I have the same Encryption
certificate?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> "Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The Pictures are located Under HP Aministrator > Pictures > and I have
> > many
> > pictures there that I can access just not one file that was protected
> > before.
> > Would it help if I told you all the files are in Green not Black?

> Oops! If the files are in Green, this means that these files are encrypted.
> I hope you still have the computer with XP installed on it or that you
> backed up the Encryption Certificate when you encrypted those files. Without
> that encryption certificate those files cannot be recovered.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: XP To Vista File Access

No, the encryption certificate is tied to the user account on the system
where it was created. The encrypting certificate is like a one of a kind key
that can unlock the files that are encrypted. This certificate is unique to
the user account that create it and is created when the files are encrypted.

Encrypting File System in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003:

Best practices for the Encrypting File System:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223316

--

> The computer that I have Vista on is the original computer. I just
> upgraded
> to Vista on the same computer so shouldn't I have the same Encryption
> certificate?

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> "Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The Pictures are located Under HP Aministrator > Pictures > and I have
>> > many
>> > pictures there that I can access just not one file that was protected
>> > before.
>> > Would it help if I told you all the files are in Green not Black?

>> Oops! If the files are in Green, this means that these files are
>> encrypted.
>> I hope you still have the computer with XP installed on it or that you
>> backed up the Encryption Certificate when you encrypted those files.
>> Without
>> that encryption certificate those files cannot be recovered.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

ryno@austarnet.com.au

Re: XP To Vista File Access
On Aug 22, 3:48 am, "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <r...@invalid.org> wrote:

> No, the encryption certificate is tied to the user account on the system
> where it was created. The encrypting certificate is like a one of a kind key
> that can unlock thefilesthat are encrypted. This certificate is unique to
> the user account that create it and is created when thefilesare encrypted.
>
> Encrypting File System in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457065.aspx
>
> Best practices for the Encrypting File System:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223316
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> "Q" <Q...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > The computer that I haveVistaon is the original computer. I just
> > upgraded
> > toVistaon the same computer so shouldn't I have the same Encryption
> > certificate?

> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> >> "Q" <Q...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Oops! If thefilesare in Green, this means that thesefilesare
> >> encrypted.
> >> I hope you still have the computer with XP installed on it or that you
> >> backed up the Encryption Certificate when you encrypted thosefiles.
> >> Without
> >> that encryption certificate thosefilescannotbe recovered.

> >> --

> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User- Hide quoted text -

I have the same problem....Help please.

ryno@austarnet.com.au

Re: XP To Vista File Access
On Oct 8, 7:18 pm, r...@austarnet.com.au wrote:
> On Aug 22, 3:48 am, "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <r...@invalid.org> wrote:

> > No, the encryption certificate is tied to the user account on the system
> > where it was created. The encrypting certificate is like a one of a kind key
> > that can unlock thefilesthat are encrypted. This certificate is unique to
> > the user account that create it and is created when thefilesare encrypted.

> > Encrypting File System in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457065.aspx

> > Best practices for the Encrypting File System:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223316

> > --

> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "Q" <Q...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > The computer that I haveVistaon is the original computer. I just
> > > upgraded
> > > toVistaon the same computer so shouldn't I have the same Encryption
> > > certificate?

> I have the same problem....Help please.- Hide quoted text -

OK. All fixed.

All folders that were encrypted on XP remain encrypted on Vista.
Encryption is linked to your password. My problem started when i
changed the password when prompted by windows. To fix i removed the
password then changed it to my previous password. I now have removed
encryption from all folders under the folder settings: general/
advanced.

Hope this helps.

Jason